Catholic Weddings
Options

Problems with FI's confirmation info

Hi all.  Hopefully someone can shed some light on this question...The short version - We contacted the church where FI was baptized to get a copy of his baptism certificate.  However, they have no record of his confirmation since he was confirmed in a different church.  We then contacted the church where he was confirmed and they said yes, he was confirmed and all records were sent to baptism church.  Again, baptism church says they never received records, confirmation church should have them.  FMIL swears he was confirmed but she lost all paperwork in a flood many years ago.I guess my biggest questions are can we still get married in a Catholic church and will FI have to go through confirmation again?  Any help is appreciated!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Problems with FI's confirmation info

• Options
    drod58drod58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At least in my church confirmation is not mandatory to get married, baptism is. My daughter got married 5 years ago and neither her or her husband had the confirmation, but both are baptized.Double check with your church.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    confirmation is NOT required for marriage.  google the canon laws and you can find the paragraph that states this.  while it is highly recommended and desireable to be confirmed, they cant require it for marriage according to church laws.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was in the same situation - I was confirmed but somehow the paperwork between my confirmation church and baptism church never got completed afterward. I just called my confirmation church and asked them to send their record of my confirmation directly to the church where I got married. (And obviously my baptism church also sent a copy of my baptism records as well.) It was fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As pp have said, while baptism is necessary for a Catholic wedding, confirmation is not.  But to ensure that all his records are accurate, ask parish #2 to send a copy of the record, or at least the date of confirmation, to parish #1.  Then get the baptismal certificate from parish #1.There are no "do-overs" for confirmation.HTH!Kathleen
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If the second church knows he was confirmed there, then they must still have a record, right? Just ask them to send a statement to the priest who is marrying you.
  • Options
    luvdelilahluvdelilah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the responses!  Confirmation church says they sent the record to baptism church already so they don't have a copy of it.  Who doesn't keep a copy of an official record?! (maybe that's just my paralegal skills kicking in).  Sounds like we'll be ok either way... our first meeting with the church is coming up in a few weeks so we'll know for sure then. thanks again!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Confirmation church says they sent the record to baptism church already so they don't have a copy of it.Okay, I'm sorry, this is the Catholic Church Office Assistant in me kicking in:You need to tell them to march their booties on down to where they keep the sacramental record books, look it up, make another copy, slap a seal on it and send it to the baptismal church asap.Just FYI (because keeping track of these records is the bane of my existence as a church office worker) all sacramental info as well as parish deaths are held in these massive, creaky old books in the church. Most churches are also moving to electronic sacramental databases on top of the old written records. The confirmation church has a permanent record of your fiance's confirmation, and if they don't, someone was not doing their job.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards