Catholic Weddings

NWR: Creighton Model of NFP

I remember that there are several ladies here who use Creighton Model or are learning it, so I'm hoping you could help me out here.

I have been using the CCLI symptothermal method for ~4 years now (engagement and marriage).  When I learned, I took a class for 8 hours (4 sessions of 2 hours each) and got all my materials for something like $100 total.  Granted, this was four years ago, and the cost for the CCLI course/materials here is $135 now, but it still seems reasonable.

I have been considering switching to Creighton Model because we have not yet had success TTC and eventually may want /need a consult at the Pope Paul VI Institute in Omaha or one of its affiliated centers (for which I assume Creighton Model charts would be helpful).  After much searching, I finally found a Creighton Model teacher about an hour from us.  I emailed the teacher to request information about setting up an introductory session, etc., and she emailed me back with information and with the pricing schedule for the training.  I was a bit taken aback by the price for the training b/c it's about 4 times what my prior NFP course cost... 

I gotta admit, my husband has sticker shock and is reluctant to go to the introductory session.  I think there are two issues... First, he is very frugal and the idea of spending $400 on almost anything gives him trouble.  Second, he likes the sympto-thermal method (especially his involvement in taking my temp every morning), and doesn't understand the differences between methods or why I would like to switch (i.e., why Creighton Model would be preferable for doctors).  Apparently I've not been very good at explaining the methods?

So, Creighton Model ladies, give me some of your thoughts on switching NFP methods.  Help me persuade my husband.  Thanks!

(Warning -- I may DD this eventually b/c I'm not sure I want all this info out there forever.  Smile)

Re: NWR: Creighton Model of NFP

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The difference is symptoms used. Creighton is one symptom, and very thurough at it, and it is a main indicator not only of fertility, but diagnosing problems, need for vitamins, etc

If you think about the help you can get with your fertility here, then $400 is nothing compared to the joy of having a baby. Creighton is teh standard for Napro. This is what they use because it is scientific observations and standardized teaching and codes. Because of this often times health insurance covers it. You can get a diagnosis code from the doctor so that its considered "prescribed" if your insurance works that way.My health insurance completely covers it.

-Couples that use this method can split the tasks-- the woman makes the observation and records on the chart, the guy interprets which sticker to use and puts it on. Therefore, he can know whats going on before she does.

There will be a bit of a learning curve switching at first, getting use to the new vocabulary- It is very important to use the correct vocabulary for the method.

• edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]If you think about the help you can get with your fertility here, then $400 is nothing compared to the joy of having a baby.[/QUOTE]

No kidding.  I've said that to him before, I'll probably have to say it again before he gets over the sticker shock.  I think that he's mostly startled that we got 8 hours of training in one NFP method for $100, but this training would cost 4 times that.  I hope he gets over the sticker shock soon.  I'll look into the insurance -- thank you for that tip.

[QUOTE] Couples that use this method can split the tasks-- the woman makes the observation and records on the chart, the guy interprets which sticker to use and puts it on. Therefore, he can know whats going on before she does.
    [/QUOTE]

Explain to me a little bit more about how that would work...  I'm having trouble figuring out how one person would make the observation but then the other would put the correct interpretation on, not having observed first-hand.  Currently, we have our system down -- DH wakes me up every morning at 5:30 before he leaves for work, takes my temperature and plots it on the chart.  And I handle the CM observations and chart those.  So it's sort of like half and half, which is one of the things I love about NFP -- the responsibility for family planning is shared.  I'm just having trouble figuring out how Creighton Model would be shared if it's only one fertility indicator being observed.

Thanks!
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    oh, gulf, i had no idea you were trying and having trouble (not that its my business so i guess that's why i dont know!).

i say the $400 is short money if it will help you achieve pregancy.  and, you figure, you'll use the method for YEARS.  say you have 30 years until menopause.  that's about $13 a year for your "birth control" or a little over a dollar a month.  maybe if you sell it to him that way, he'll see its a bargain! 
    edited December 2011
    You record your observation of the most fertile sign each day. He sees it and decides what color sticker to put on.
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I just started NFP - my diocese uses Creighton. It's thorough, a little confusing/complicated at first, but very effective when you use it right (I think they said over 75% achieve pregnancy first try). Between initial class, 8 follow up classes, and materials it's costing about $400 so that's pretty normal, but the follow up sessions are really necessary for "getting it" (at least that's what I'm finding). So I observe and I tell FI what I observe and he puts it on our chart. Now, we just started like 2.5 weeks ago, but he keeps telling me (virtually every night when I call him to tell him) "fascinating! you are an enigma" haha. Anywho, good luck and God bless :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just recently started Creighton, and I'm glad I did. I tried symptothermal, and it was a miserable failure for me.

As PP said, you may be able to submit it to your insurance company. The instructor can give you an ICD-9 code which you can give to the insurance. If not, I still feel $400 is a very reasonable cost.

The Creighton will help much more with infertility. There is a very extensive follow up for couples who are facing this, and this method is the only one used by the Pope Paul  VI Institute, which will work with you to help you conceive.

The method also very much stresses the shared reproductive responsibility as well as non-intercourse expression of marital love. Like others said, your DH will help with the interpretation of your chart. The symptothermal equivalent would be helping to interpret your peak day and coverline. So he will be just as involved, if not more, than if he was just recording your temperature without analyzing your chart.

At the least, you can go to an introductory meeting. My instructor was very thorough explaining the entire method and the benefits it has over other methods. There is no commitment required from this meeting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-creighton-model-of-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:10d4dc24-64be-40f5-9693-2212bed3ea52Post:33440a48-2e2f-4060-8b6c-e0d5520dcce9">Re: NWR: Creighton Model of NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I Like others said, your DH will help with the interpretation of your chart. The symptothermal equivalent would be helping to interpret your peak day and coverline. So he will be just as involved, if not more, than if he was just recording your temperature without analyzing your chart.
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]

He currently does interpret the temperature sign, setting the low temperature level and high temperature level each month.  And when we were avoiding, he was the one who determined the start of Phase III's post-ovulation infertility.  But he has never felt comfortable interpreting the CM sign and setting Peak Day on my chart, no matter how extensive my CM observations on my chart are, nor how many times he has read about it or (in the past) discussed it with our teaching couple.  He just believes that his interpretations of the CM sign would not be as accurate as mine would be, since he did not observe the CM first hand.  Hence, he's reluctant to switch to a CM-only method.

I think he's gotten over his surprise at the cost, but he still is very reluctant to switch or even learn about switching.  When we were talking about it again yesterday, he asked me what the stickers tell a health professional that extensive CM observations on a CCLI-model chart do not.  I didn't really know what to say to that.  But I guess at least he's doing some research, because now he knows there are stickers (which I hadn't mentioned).

The next intro session isn't for a month.  Maybe with some luck I'll be pregnant by then and we won't need to switch for a while.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  Lol.  :)
    edited December 2011
    My doctor doesn't look at stickers. The stickers are for YOUR use to determine avoiding or achieving prengancy. Timing.

The standardized codes of obesrvations of cm is what the doctors use for determinig health.

The thing is with creighton, its very objective. The guy trusts your observation, and makes a determination. If you put down a code, he'll know what sticker to use. There is no variable or determination in it. You can't put down a different sticker than what the code callsfor. The code is still determined by you doing the observing. There are no "iffy" days.
  • edited December 2011

Hopefully he'll be persuaded by the introductory session.  I think the woman doing the session is a nurse practitioner -- and I hope she can answer all his questions.  :) 

• newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The total cost of Creighton for ours is $25 for the intro session and materials plus $500 for the eight individual follow up sessions.  We're doing about 5 of our sessions before we get married and the last three afterwards when we actually start using it for real rather than just charting my cycles!

Frankly, it is a lot of money and neither my fiance nor I make very much, but the center that offers the classes will adjust the cost based on our incomes or offer scholarships to help make them more affordable, so we'll luck out and only end up needing to pay about $200 total since our respective insurances didn't cover it!  Comparing it to other wedding expenses helped to put it into perspective :)

I have PCOS and take metformin, so Creighton was definitely the way to go for me!  In case I have fertility care issues in the future, I'll hopefully have a good understanding of my cycle and stuff before we start trying :)
  • edited December 2011
    Just to comment on the cost... Is your total cost $400? Or do you have to come up with full amount when you start?

When we started, our initial session was free and there was a $10 charge for materials (book, chart and stickers)

We pay $40 at each followup.

So, so far we have paid $310. $10 for the initial meeting, then DH wanted his own book so another $10, and a second set of stickers after we went through the first (so another $10).

We have had 8 sessions so far. The first was free, And have paid $40 at each of the seven followups. We have another this coming tuesday and then probably another next month.

So it will be $390 when we are done with this set. And then I think we meet at three months and six months to review.

So it will be at about that $400 amount that you state, but not all at once. Thank goodness!

So find out if its $400 up front or if overall that's what you will end up paying.

GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards