Catholic Weddings

Catholic Baptised not Confirmed can I still get married?

Hello Ladies,
I have a question. I was baptised Catholic and had my 1st Holy  Communion. But I was never confirmed. I am scraed that this will hinder me from getting married in the Catholic Church. Will this be an issue? I hope not. BTW I'm in Michigan Archdiocese of Detroit.

Re: Catholic Baptised not Confirmed can I still get married?

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    according to canon law, confirmation is not required for marriage, although some churches will tell you it is.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, according to canon law it is. Confirmation is a sacrament of initiation. Marriage is a vocational sacrament. It makes sense that one should be fully initiated into the faith (and receive the graces from it)  before choosing a vocation. There is room for flexibility with the caveat "without grave inconvenience", so it can depend on the circumstances.

Why not look into confirmation?

Can.  1065 §1. Catholics who have not yet received the sacrament of confirmation are to receive it before they are admitted to marriage if it can be done without grave inconvenience.

• edited December 2011
    Neither my husband or I were confirmed when we got married.  We dealt with 3 different priests (because we're military).  Our local parish priest (for the counseling, etc), the priest at the church we were getting married in (out of state), and the priest who was going to marry us (my husband's uncle who is a priest in the Philippines).  None of them asked if we were confirmed.  We only had to provide our baptism certificates.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get married in a Catholic church if you were baptized Catholic (even if you weren't confirmed).  Obviously, it's preferable that you get confirmed first.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Lady! So happy to know that I CAN get married with out getting confirmed. @agapecarrie I am not interested in getting confirmed at this time just want to focus on my soon to be marriage. Confirmation may come later.
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Since you're in the Archdiocese of Detroit, then I can tell you that I'm pretty sure that at about 95% of the parishes there, you won't have any trouble getting married without getting confirmed...
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-barptized-but-not-confirmed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:113ffe8d-2464-4d2e-bff3-464518330403Post:79eeff31-90e7-4bc6-bc83-e1e58ed5d713">Re: Catholic Baptised not Confirmed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Lady! So happy to know that I CAN get married with out getting confirmed. @agapecarrie I am not interested in getting confirmed at this time just want to focus on my soon to be marriage. Confirmation may come later.
    Posted by afrenchprincess1[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, why not look into confirmation? The gifts of the Holy Spirit would, at a minimum, be great spiritual blessings for entering into a holy marriage.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-barptized-but-not-confirmed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:113ffe8d-2464-4d2e-bff3-464518330403Post:2d10e4b4-4688-4912-91e4-e95e9d200230">Re: Catholic Baptised not Confirmed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catholic Baptised not Confirmed. :<strong> Out of curiosity, why not look into confirmation?</strong> The gifts of the Holy Spirit would, at a minimum, be great spiritual blessings for entering into a holy marriage.
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree.  There are many baptized adults who are not confirmed and many parishes have programs specifically for these people.  I think it's worth a look.  Your profile says your wedding isn't until next year, after the Easter Vigil.

</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's the thing...the best thing you can do for your upcoming marriage IS get alll the graces available to you with the sacraments. It can only help the marriage and spiritual preparation for it.

If one has all the sacramnets except confirmation, they can look into going through the process outside of RCIA-- a faster education and formation, and don't have to wait for Easter Vigil.
  • edited December 2011

Both my FI and I had our baptism and 1st holy communion in the church but became rebelious during our teenage years and never got confirmed. We are not required to be confirmed in our church for marriage. However, when we started talking with our priest, we learned that we would not be able to participate in certain things without being confirmed. Example: communion ministers or be godparents. We started talking and decided to take the confirmation classes not only to be confirmed but to also learn more about our religion. We will be confirmed in January and our wedding is in April, so it just kinda worked out.

• Even though I don't have both can I still get married?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards