Catholic Weddings

Do I need a soloist/cantor?

Hi! I'm starting to research the music aspect of my ceremony.  The church includes a parish musician (organist and can sing a little too).  I'm reading through the music instructions packet, and it mentions that she can practice with my soloists or cantors.  Do you think I need to hire a separate soloist/cantor?   
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do I need a soloist/cantor?

• Are you having a full Mass? If so, there is a lot more singing involved, so it might be worth it to find someone who can sing better than "a little."
    If it's not a Mass, (or if it is, and you just don't mind them singing the whole thing,) and you have heard this musician sing, and are fine with them singing, then I would not interpret that wording to be that you HAVE to get an additional cantor. 
    It's best to just check with this parish musician, and see if they are willing to sing the whole thing, or ask them for cantor recommendations.
    Anniversary
  • If you have a friend or family member who is a singer (and familiar with the chant style of singing), it might be nice to include them in this role.  One of my bridesmaids is a classically trained mezzo, so we asked her to cantor.
    Anniversary

• its not required.  we had a full mass (in latin) and went only with the organ. 
  • I really think your best bet is to ask the musician. Ours was a fabulous singer, as well as a very good pianist, so it was a non-issue. This person's definition of "a little" may be that they can do the mass parts, but not big solos, it may be that they can do it, but would rather not, or it may be something else entirely. The best way to know is to ask.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • csgmancsgman member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    This is all VERY helpful- thank you for the responses!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards