Catholic Weddings

Books on natural family planning?

Hello all,
 Long time no see.  We would like some advice on good books, websites and materials about natural family planning if you know of any.  I would actually like to use it to time the month in which I get pregnant and be more familiar with my fertility cycle.  What information can you give me to help me learn more about this?

Thanks

Re: Books on natural family planning?

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Though NFP is mentioned in the book, it isn't a "Catholic" book. This is what I used to learn how to chart, including how to recognize peak fertile days.
  • edited December 2011
    Also for symptothermal method, the Couple to Couple League has a home study course that they sell on their website.  I found it pretty informative (and liked that their materials didn't assume, like TCOYF, that a couple would be using condoms during fertile periods).

If you're interested in Billings Method or Creighton Method, those will require classes.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i used TCOYF to self teach.  very great resource!

it actually doesnt assume that you'll use condoms.  in fact, it says that while condom use is allowed, its pretty stupid to use condoms during hte fertile period since you'd be knowingly having sex at a time when you could become pregnant if you had a breakage or misuse of hte condom.  but since you are TTC, i assume you will be having sex during your fertile period.

i'm pretty religious, but i actually liked that TCOYF taught from a scientific view point.  made it easier to believe its efficacy and to sell it to H.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_books-natural-family-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:1a150672-b1a2-4669-865b-f2b4b4ad0e03Post:44fbe894-d85b-46f2-9332-3e9774581b75">Re: Books on natural family planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i used TCOYF to self teach.  very great resource! it actually doesnt assume that you'll use condoms.  in fact, it says that while condom use is allowed, its pretty stupid to use condoms during hte fertile period since you'd be knowingly having sex at a time when you could become pregnant if you had a breakage or misuse of hte condom.  but since you are TTC, i assume you will be having sex during your fertile period. i'm pretty religious, but i actually liked that TCOYF taught from a scientific view point.  made it easier to believe its efficacy and to sell it to H.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

It's been a very long time since I read TCOYF.  I remember the mentions of condoms, but apparently did not recall it correctly?  I stand corrected.  :)

Anyway, the Couple to Couple League stuff is great.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you guys.  What is the difference between the symptothermal method and the one in taking charge of your fertility?
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just read TCOYF and found it very straightforward.

TCOYF mentions condoms as part of FAM.  I wandered onto the Christian board on TK and found that some girls use FAM rather than NFP because of 1 Corinthians 7:5.  I personally think if the couple agree that they do not want to conceive, it's okay to abstain from sex during the woman's fertile period and that it's not the woman denying her husband his sexual right during that time.  But that's just me, and apparently there are whole groups of Christians who disagree.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is FAM?

Also... people really believe that the woman should never ever say no because her husband has a sexual RIGHT? This is insane.  
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    FAM is NFP, but during your peak fertile periods, the couple uses the barrier method to prevent pregnancy.

1 Corinthians 7:5
    Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Some people believe that abstaining from sex during your peak days is one sided denial of sex.  I'd like to believe that couples that are practicing NFP are doing so by mutual consent, so there should already be the mutual agreement to abstain during the woman's fertile periods.  But apparently not everyone feels this way and feel that using condoms during the fertile periods allows them to avoid the denial of sex from their partner.  I think it's silly because while there are other benefits to doing NFP, if you're going to use condoms during your fertile days, well, you're opening yourself up to accidental pregnancy?  And if you believe that condoms are effective birth control, why not just use the barrier method as your main birth control?  Why go through the hassle of daily charting?

I believe Catholics who are confronted with this biblical passage consider the abstaining period as fasting and mutual consent.  And of course prayer is always involved (I hope).

Eta: technically, I believe these literal adherers to scripture might consider both partners as having equal rights to sex when they want it, but it is my bias that if a woman commits to NFP, she's probably the one saying "no sex today, it's a fertile day," thus denying her husband sex.  I suppose the husband might be saying "oh, it's your fertile day, so we shouldn't have sex" and thus deny the female sex, but if she wanted to ignore her charting and have sex during her fertile days, why choose NFP?  Maybe I'm reading too much into things.

• mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    Btw, hi Theresa!  How's married life?
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    FAM stands for "Fertility Awareness Method".  it is a form of NFP "Natural Family Planning" but it is not entirely in line with catholic teaching because it allows for condom use during hte fertile time.  however, opting to eliminate condom use brings you in line with church teaching.

TCOYF teaches FAM, and the method is a sympto-thermal method.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also recommend Taking Charge of your Fertility.  If there is no Couple to Couple league close to your area, it's possible to self-teach yourself using this book and materials on the Couple to Couple League website as supplements.

The Billings and Creighton Method does not require recording temperatures and has a medical component, which is geared towards women whose temperature is not constant due to different waking times (physicians, nurses, flight attendants, etc.) or may be suffering from hormonal problems (the kind that makes miscarriages common and such).  For these methods, you'll need to go to classes and be under the care and supervision of a nurse or physician who is practicing these methods with you.

But for the vast majority of women (my NFP teacher said up to 95%) the sympto-thermal method is good.  The TCOYF book is good resource.

And like the other girls have said, FAM is exactly sympto-thermal NFP, only with condom use being allowed during fertile times.  Take away that last part about condom use being allowed and it would be in line with Church teaching.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for all of the clarification on the methods. I appreciate it and I will definitely order that book.  Also, mica, married life is fabulous!  We are very happy and we are excited to host our first Thanksgiving dinner together this year.  I'm making the turkey for the first time.  
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    Wow, how exciting!  I'm not cooking this year -- Thanksgiving will be in Atlanta with H's family, and I won't arrive until an hour before the meal starts.  Sigh.  I've made 3 of the last 4 TG turkeys, though, so let me know if you have cooking questions.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards