Catholic Weddings
Options

Can we have a church wedding?

Hi Everyone!
I am just starting planning and I have a question. I am a catholic, but I don't really go to the church very often and I don't belong to a parish. My fiance grew up catholic, but was never confirmed (he was babtised and had his first communion). He also was married before in a non religious ceremony. Is it even possible for us to have a catholic church wedding?
Thank you for all your help!

Re: Can we have a church wedding?

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    its possible, although your fiance will have to have his first marriage annulled if he has not done so already.  this may or may not be possible depending upon the circumstances.

confirmation is not required, but strongly encouraged.

you should become members at a parish and start discussions with the priest there on the best way to proceed.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Catholics are bound to the correct form when getting married, so if a Catholic gets married somewhere else without the proper dispensation, the marriage is not valid. This process to investigate this kind is usually pretty speedy and inexpensive.

That being said, this must be brought to a priest asap to discuss all of the information.

Confirmation is an initiation sacrament, while marriage is a vocational sacrament. It would make sense to be fully initiated before choosing a vocation. One is required to be confirmed, if there isn't a serious reason. (he may not have to do a long drawn out process for it).

• Options
    edited December 2011

It may vary by region/church, but in my area (ohio) you absolutely do not need to be confirmed at all the receive the sacrement of marriage. I am confirmed and have the certificate, but he(our deacon) didnt want that at all. He only wanted my baptismal certificate(which is going to take some digging). My step sister was  baptised but never received her first communion or was confirmed. She married another catholic and received the sacrement of marriage. It may be others personal choice to get confirmed first but is not necessary. Even though he didnt get married in a church I would ask about that. Anullments can be a very lengthy process!

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    another reply only to further confuse you ;)

My marriage was annulled in less than 6 months. (NYC)

M's now husband was required to be confirmed before they weren married. The priest was very firm on this.

I would suggest joining a church and working with the priest there before going any further. 

GL
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Generally speaking, you will not need to be confirmed. You will need to have your baptism certificates. I had to email the church I was baptized in 24 years ago 3 states away to get a reissued certificate because my parents couldn't find mine. They were very nice about getting mine to me quickly without any fuss.

My FI and I are getting married at the church on our old college campus. We only recently graduated, but were not the best at going to church every Sunday. I was still a registered member there and our priest (the parish priest there) was willing to let us get married provided we participated in the mandatory marriage prep and made a concerted effort to go to church more often; however, this will vary from parish to parish. Some are very strict about when you can have marriages and if nonmembers can have wedding there, etc.

Since your husband was not married in the church before, he shouldn't need to get anything annulled (i believe - it's been several years since I graduated from Catholic schol :)) I would speak to the priest where you are getting married and see what if any kind of investigation may be necessary to assure that the two of you are free to marry each other. I would make sure that you give the parish at least 6 mos notice. This is by no means a hard and fast rule, but many parishes like advanced notice to begin marriage prep, etc.

• Options
    soccerella7soccerella7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    as far as I know, he will need to get his marriage annulled.  I just had a friend who got marreid in novmber after converting to catholicism and she had to have her first one annulled.   Soemtimes this can be difficult and take several months (i think they tell you about 6 months, depending on your diocese) but hers happened alot quicker than that.

as for needing to be confirmed, I'm pretty sure if you just want a marriage ceremony that is recognized by the catholic church then you dont need to be confirmed (my fiance isnt even catholic and we are able to do this).  HOWEVER, I am farily certain that if you want a full catholic mass with everything it entails (ie communion) both of you must be confirmed and in good standing with a church.

Another word of advice is to join a church and become regular attendees.  Most churches require you be a member and attedning for at least 6 months before they will even schedule a marriage.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The technical requirement is baptism, but it really is a good idea to persue confirmation, especially if living a life in the faith is important to him. As always, though, things can vary by parish and by diocese.

Generally, those entering marriage (or other vocation) are required to produce a recent copy of their baptismal certificate to not only prove their baptism, but to ensure that they have not entered into another vocational sacrament. These records are maintained (or should be) at the site of baptism. The parish where you were baptised should be used to doing this for others, so it's not a big deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The problem here is everyone is answering with anecdotal stories and many times are missing pertinent information. (such as whether annulments were lack of form or the full out version)

The correct and technical answer is that Confirmation is required. Here is the canon law:

Can. 1065 §1 Catholics who have not yet received the sacrament of confirmation are to receive it before being admitted to marriage, if this can be done without grave inconvenience.

Yes, there are exceptions, but that does not make the rule, nor will it necessarily be the way this particular priest chooses to handle it.

Do not wait until 6 months before your date, as you will not be able to even set a date until whatever annulments that are needed are done. See a priest asap. A full out annulment can take over a year, depending on the amount the tribunal has to get through, and how quick the witnesses turn in their testimony. Again, to the OP, it sounds as if it is lack of form, but only speaking to a priest will you know for sure.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing the canon reference, Agape. I had genuinely understood that only baptism was required for marriage, though like I said (or tried to say!) in my PP confirmation is always preferred.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards