Catholic Weddings
Options

Silly question...

In Catholic weddings, is there a "You may now kiss the bride" moment?  I haven't been to one in awhile, but for some reason I was under the impression the Catholic church doesn't do it. Just curious! Obviously not a big deal either way.
Anniversary DS was born 11/30/12... so in love :)

Re: Silly question...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our priest no longer does that. In fact, I haven't really seen it done at the Catholic weddings I have been to recently. I think he just pronounced us husband and wife and he told us during the rehearsal that we could kiss after that.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our priest sort of whispered "You can kiss now" to us after the vows and all that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our priest did say this after the exchanging of rings, he also encouraged us to kiss again during the sign of the peace.  I think it depends on your priest, but it isn't really part of the catholic service.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am embarrassed to admit I truly don't remember....maybe we should've splurged on a videographer after all?

If I had to guess I don't think that was said - however I know we did kiss at some point during the ceremony. Sheesh. My memory is sad.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i havent seen this at any wedding recently, Catholic or otherwise.
    our priest also did not say "i now pronounce you", nor were we introduced or presented by the priest.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_silly-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:254cce92-0199-4541-9380-a9a45bc57b9bPost:48bea52a-10df-44e9-82be-e87571f169e7">Re: Silly question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our priest no longer does that. In fact, I haven't really seen it done at the Catholic weddings I have been to recently. I think he just pronounced us husband and wife and he told us during the rehearsal that we could kiss after that.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what our priest did.  We discussed it at our rehearsal.  At the end of the mass he did a final blessing, then introduced us as Mr. & Mrs. and that was our signal to kiss.  I haven't been to a wedding in years that actually uses the words "you may now kiss the bride" and I think it is especially uncommon in most Catholic weddings.  HTH
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The deacon, uncle of the bride did announce them and said "Okay to kiss now"

right, they really needed permission.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony doesn't have it, but I've been to other Catholic wedding which have. All of FI friends and mine have done it. I think it depends on the priest doing the wedding and if you tell them it's something you want.

We don't normally even touch!! Gotta love old Roman Catholic traditions...lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't even sure if there was a moment we'd get to kiss.  Not that the priest would necessarily have to say that sentence.  I guess we'll find out at our rehersal if theres a time we get to kiss or not :)
    Anniversary DS was born 11/30/12... so in love :)
  • Options
    meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try to work it out with your priest if you're concerned about it, if it is important to you to have that moment, it's worth asking about.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards