Catholic Weddings
Options

is the Gospel Acclamation same as the alleluia verse?

I'm going int bettern the "together for life book" the worksheet in there then the book the Cathedral gave us to help with the program and this part isn't matching up between the different books.

Re: is the Gospel Acclamation same as the alleluia verse?

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Gospel Acclamation is the verse sung between the 2nd reading and the Gospel reading.  It's usually an Alleluia verse, except during Lent.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    is it typical to pick the alleluia verse? I jsut remember literally singing Alleluia but the one book has us picking out a short phrase but it says its optional
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As Mica said, the Alleluia is between the 2nd reading and the Gospel, during which everyone should stand for the Gospel reading (again, except during Lent). There are Alleluias that have a verse in the middle of them. For this coming Sunday, it would properly be:

Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia
    Jesus Christ is the firstborn of the dead;
    to him be glory and power, forever and ever
    Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia

Together for Life offers the options for the verse to be sung during a wedding. However, this is something to talk over with your musician. Many versions of the Alleluia do not use a verse at all. Similarly, my parish usually always uses a generic verse rather than the one identified in the missal (whether this is ok, I don't really know).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Talk with your musician.  There are several Alleluia options, plus there's the verse.  Ideally the verse should match the general theme of your readings.  The different melodies should be based on your preference and your cantor's abilities.  We did the Celtic Alleluia because it's beautiful and very recognizable and our cantor sang it beautifully.  The verse we chose was 1 John 4:7b.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards