Catholic Weddings
Options

How much detail?

FI is Catholic and I converted this year. That means that my side of the family is not Catholic at all. We've decided to do the full mass for our wedding.
How much detail do you provide in the ceremony program? FI's side will know all the cues and what to say when. 
What would you include?

Re: How much detail?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a similar situation (also a convert).  I didn't include the full text of the Mass, but I did include all the responses and prayers of the congregation.  I also included notes off in the margin in bold font -- Kneel, stand, sit, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are including the full ceremony and mass with cues. Since we are Malankara Catholic and some of the people coming are Latin we wanted everyone to be able to follow along and know what's happening. Even if you don't write in the cues most people will just follow along with what everyone else is doing.
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a convert as well, so none of my family are Catholic. I am going into extreme detail in the programs so that everyone can feel included and not be left out.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.
    I was thinking of including the cues and any responses.
    Just wasn't sure about including the prayers.
  • Options
    mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I included everything.  When I mentioned it to a couple of non catholic friends they asked if they were expected to participate and do all of the things the program says.  I was a little annoyed because I worked so hard ton the programs just for the few people like them.  Like you, I wanted them to feel included.  I have a feeling now that it won't much matter. Oh well!  I guess! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would include just the cues and responses, and an outline of everything else. I once went to a wedding where EVERYTHING was written out, and honestly the guests were buried in their programs. It was kind of a shame to see them paying less attention to the couple.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    First off, congratulations on having a Nuptial Mass.  It's a real blessing to celebrate the Eucharist together as husband and wife at your wedding.  The Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith.  It is also a way to evangelize to your side of the family by witnessing the Mass with you and sharing your decision with them for becoming Catholic.

This site explains the Mass:

This site helps with showing the Order of the Mass:

I think they say it better than I would with this:

"The point of creating a wedding program, especially when it comes to Catholic weddings, is to help your guests fully participate in the celebration. So rather than approaching the wedding program as a description of the ceremony, think of it as a sort of "script" that guides your guests as they fulfill their role in the celebration. How much detail you provide in that script is up to you."
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat.. FL is catholic  and i am Covernting my classes start Sept 25th.. i am not sure what to include as well..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Talk to your priest.  Ours said he is going to say everything as he goes along... such as "please be seated."  and I think people will pick up on the cues of what the priest is doing and what the Catholic guests are doing.  I wouldn't want people to be buried in their programs.  Just a thought.
    Anniversary DS was born 11/30/12... so in love :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards