Catholic Weddings

Can a deacon perform a Catholic wedding?

We love our deacon and were wondering, are deacons allowed to marry you in the church or does it have to be the priest?

Re: Can a deacon perform a Catholic wedding?

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, a deacon can marry you. If you want a mass, a priest must celebrate the mass. You can still have the deacon marry you within the mass.
  • edited December 2011
    Which one would say the homily? the priest?
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Either could preach. We had a priest marry us but a deacon (who was a good friend) say the homily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely!

The bride's uncle was a deacon of the church and he performed the wedding ceremony.

The pastor of the church was really unknow to the couplte but he did the mass and we had two other priest friends on the altarl
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto pp's. Either can say the homily.

We had both a priest and a deacon present for our wedding. We had the Nuptial Mass.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Deacon's have to have faculties to preach. Most diocese, if not all, a newer deacon does not have preaching facutlies. They have to have additional classes and formation. If they have preached at a Sunday mass, then they have the faculties.
  • edited December 2011
    My church let me know that the deacons typically officiate when it's the wedding without the full mass (no communion), and one of their priests would officiate should we decide to go with the full mass.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I am having only the Wedding Ceremony and it a Deacon who is performing it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards