Catholic Weddings

Readings...

I'm a lurker here, but we just received our "Together for Life" book from our parish.  I've spent the past few days reading through it.  They give you so many options for readings!!  I was wondering - which readings did you all pick and why?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Readings...

• edited December 2011
    1st Reading: Genesis 1:26-28, 31a
     We really liked the line, "male and female he created them" in the creation story, because FI and I see ourselves as equal partners working together.

2nd Reading: Ephesians 4:1-6
    This isn't in Together for Life, but is a reading our priest recommended.  We really loved the reading's focus on unity.

Gospel: John 15:9-12
    A very beautiful passage on love
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1st: Ruth 1:16-17.  Okay, so the original is Ruth talking with her mother-in-law, but the words are beautiful.  Also, I look at marriage as combining two families (and I love my MIL), so I thought it was fine even taking the original context into mind.  This passage wasn't in _Together for Life_, but my priest said that any thoughtfully chosen passages were fine.

2nd: Colossians 3:12-17.  I just love this passage.  And, if everyone lived this way, what a wonderful world this would be!

Gospel: Matthew 7:21, 24-29.  This is a passage about the importance of a good foundation (the foundation being a love and respect of God).  I don't think this one was in TFL either, but it's a favorite of my priest for marriage counseling.

I approached our readings looking for a statement of my H and my love, but also as a message to the many non-Christian/agnostic/atheists who attended our wedding.  I wasn't trying to convert anyone, per se, but I did want those listening during the ceremony to see the beauty and love contained in the Bible.
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a Traditional Latin Mass, so no choice of readings here. But I'm ok with the Church's picks :)

Epistle: Ephesians 5:22-33
    You know, wives obey your husbands, husbands love your wives. Not popular in modern weddings I think, but a beautiful passage if you can get past the words "submit" and "obey" and see what St. Paul is saying. And really, wives are supposed to let the husbands be the head.

Gospel: Matther 19:3-6  A man should leave his parents and cleave to his wife, what God has joined let no man put asunder (paraphrase). Jesus' own description of marriage.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_readings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:2d7b773e-c7ec-44e4-b93f-ff1c53341763Post:8075ba2e-e627-422b-9d9c-300c2123bc53">Re: Readings...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a Traditional Latin Mass, so no choice of readings here. But I'm ok with the Church's picks :) Epistle: Ephesians 5:22-33 You know, wives obey your husbands, husbands love your wives. <strong>Not popular in modern weddings I think, but a beautiful passage if you can get past the words "submit" and "obey" and see what St. Paul is saying.</strong> And really, wives are supposed to let the husbands be the head. Gospel: Matther 19:3-6  A man should leave his parents and cleave to his wife, what God has joined let no man put asunder (paraphrase). Jesus' own description of marriage.
    Posted by KatieAnne18[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree, if all women could see what the passage is really saying, the hairs on our necks won't stick up when we hear the words "submit."  It's a beautiful passage.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    Also, if people were familiar with the context (read Epheians 5:21), they'd see that really both spouses are to submit to each other, just in different ways.  The man is the head of the household, but he must be willing to put his life on the line to protect his wife.  It sounds pretty fair to me.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    We chose Sirach 26: 13-16 and 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:8. For the Gospel, we chose Matthew 5:1-12.

I have always loved the 1 Corinthians verse even though it is very popular at weddings. We had a hard time choosing between Sirach and Ephesians 5:22-33.

We actually didn't get a TFL book from our priest, so we just used our church's wedding guide as our guide and went from there. We sat down and looked at different passages together and listed them in order of how much we liked them.

• newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is our project for my fi's winter break from classes!  So far we for sure are using 1 John 4 as our second reading... Our parish has a very extensive wedding guide and has select readings to choose from, but I'd imagine that our deacon would allow us to deviate if another passage has special meaning to us!  I'll add all of yours to our list to read through :)
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    We loved that one (1 John 4:7-12) too, but H's brother used that in his wedding, which was 9 months before ours, so we decided that we needed a different reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards