Catholic Weddings

baptism

dh & i took our baptism class last night and set the date for dd to be baptized. sooo.... wondering are we supposed to host something after the ceremony. its 2:30 on a sunday in may. not sure what is expected. 
thanks
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: baptism

• Historically, baptisms of children are like weddings - If you invite people to the ceremony, you have to host some sort of reception. Like with weddings, it can be really simple cake-and-punch, or it can be super-elaborate. Also like with weddings, you can not invite people to the ceremony, and then you don't have reception responsibilities. As you're likely asking godparents, doing something with them afterwards would be nice.
  • Our son's baptism was a Saturday night after Mass (just a couple weeks ago!) and we had everyone (it was just family, but still about 20 people) over for dinner at our house afterwards. If it hadn't been a meal time, we would have just had everyone over for cake, instead. But I do think it's expected that there is some type of celebration afterwards, if only for a chance for grandmas and aunties to spend time with the little one :)

And I just want to share this... When DS was baptized, he was in a lovely little white outfit when we walked into mass that evening. But after a pew-shaking poo during the 2nd reading and a trip to the changing room, he ended up in a plain white onesie for the ceremony. Ahh, babies.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• edited February 2012
    ya fr. asked that we lleave her in her diaper for the actual water part and dress her after.

thanks for the input. i was thinking something light with cake since it would be after lunch but before dinner.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My sister had her son baptized a few years ago and she held a get together for anyone who went to the baptism in the basement of the church.  It wasn't anything expensive or elaborate just some food that the family brought like pasta salad and soup and such as well as cake.  It depends what time of day you are having it as to if you would want to include lunch items but at least a cake and punch would be appropriate and most likely customary
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • At 2:30, I think cake and punch at church would be lovely. Making arrangements to take the godparents to lunch or dinner (before or after) would probably be an extra-nice gesture.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_baptism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:2ddac460-a5da-4cf8-b09a-7f0469788159Post:321a6965-b1f1-4dd6-a557-78634a4e3ab9">Re: baptism</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our son's baptism was a Saturday night after Mass (just a couple weeks ago!) and we had everyone (it was just family, but still about 20 people) over for dinner at our house afterwards. If it hadn't been a meal time, we would have just had everyone over for cake, instead. But I do think it's expected that there is some type of celebration afterwards, if only for a chance for grandmas and aunties to spend time with the little one :) And I just want to share this... When DS was baptized, he was in a lovely little white outfit when we walked into mass that evening. But after a pew-shaking poo during the 2nd reading and a trip to the changing room, he ended up in a plain white onesie for the ceremony. Ahh, babies.
    Posted by TeaForMe[/QUOTE]

I think that your son must be somehow related to my daughter!  That hand embroidered gown, poop all over :(

AND it was loud
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards