Catholic Weddings
Options

readers and singing

my FI is catholic and i am not so we're having a ceremony without full mass. we'll be meeting with our priest to work out details soon but wondered how many readers do we need? is one enough?

as well do we need to have singing during the ceremony. i only ask because his family is very small and my family is big so there won't be too many people singing. over an organ i don't think anyone would hear any singing. can the singing parts merely be read by a reader or do we hire a cantor?

Re: readers and singing

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have music, the psalm and gospel acclamation should be sung, at a minimum. This is officially the rubric of the church, however, some will allow you to have the psalm read. A cantor can sing with a microphone over an organ, its done all the time.

You may have the same person do multiple readings.

First reading
    Psalm (can be sung by cantor or possibly read)
    2nd reading
    Gospel (read by priest or deacom)
    Prayers of the faithful (intercessions)
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The musician can play the piano rather than the organ to avoid overpowering the voices.  You can print the verses and music to the psalm and alleluiah so that your family can sing too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our organist ( recommended by our deacon) also sings so we are using him to play and sing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've been to many Masses (especially daily) where the music isn't sung.  I think you'd really prefer it sung, it's so much more beautiful and adds to the holiness of the Liturgy.

I also wouldn't be concerned whether the congregation will sing along.  They can listen.  The only parts that I would include in your program to give a better chance of singing along would be the responsorial psalm and possibly the Gospel acclamation, as agapecarrie mentioned.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards