Catholic Weddings
Options

Charities

Hey ladies,

I was wondering which charities you would recommend that don't engage in "un-Catholic" activities? I have a short list of those that are Catholic-based (Courage, Heart of Mary School, St. Thomas More Society, Cardinal Newman Society). But many of the bigger organizations sadly engage in activities that go against church doctrine (Salvation Army, United Way, UNICEF). Are there any other organizations that you know to be "free and clear" from a Catholic standpoint?

I know there are also periodicals to contribute to: The National Catholic register, Salvo, Sacred Architecture. Please recommend others as well!

Re: Charities

• Options
    What about Catholic Charities Adoption Services?

Anniversary

• Options
    I don't have any to recommend, but am surprised to hear about United Way, Salvation Army, and UNICEF.  Just curious, what is about those charities that goes against Church doctrine?
  • Options
    This is pulled from various sources...

Salvation Army is pro-life on most all abortions, but allows for rape, incest, and abortifacient
    exceptions, and also has a history of funding Planned Parenthood. The United Way also has a history of funding Planned Parenthood and supports homosexual lifestyles/agendas. UNICEF is also a contraceptive-distributing, abortion-performing, and sterilization-providing partner with some of the world's most notorious "family planning" organizations.
  • Options
    My only "big organization" suggestion is St. Vincent de Paul. Even Catholic Charities and Catholic Relief  Services have faced scrutiny, though I understand that they are doing better.

I like to support local Catholic organizations. They are doing good work, often provide direct aid, and most of your donation goes to the cause. I'd imagine your diocese has some sort of charity appeal. You could see where they give their money/assistance. You could also check out crisis pregnancy centers, Catholic worker houses/centers, soup kitchens, and housing services organizations in your area.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i personally prefer donating to my parish as my charity.  i think more can be accomplished locally at hte grassroots level and its rewarding to often see first hand the receipt of my generosity and how it helps and sometimes changes the lives of people.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far!

90% of our charitable giving is through our local parish (or their recommendation). But I think it is good to "spread the wealth" to other organizations - as long as they are in-line with the Church.

I always feel like a scrooge at work bc they have tons of fundraisers and affilitiations with larger charities and I never participate bc there's always something I'm not morally comfortable with about the organization. In addition to the orgs mentioned above, these others participate in either funding Planned Parenthood, or other non-Catholic funding:
    Red Cross, March of Dimes, American Cancer Society, Boys and Girls Clubs, Ronald McDonald House

Also -  for your animal lovers out there: Humane Society of America (the one with the Sarah Maclaughlin tear jerking commercial) gives less than 5% of their donations to actual animal shelters. Most of their money goes to lawyers that lobby against livestock farms. They are mainly a "make everyone vegan/try to stop livestock farms" organization. So - give money directly to your local shelter and NOT this place!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3159d8cc-9ee9-456c-9358-e01f2a4f98aaPost:06c09674-79d8-46ff-97e4-a55e812cc419">Re: Charities</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the suggestions so far! 90% of our charitable giving is through our local parish (or their recommendation). But I think it is good <strong>to "spread the wealth" to other organizations - as long as they are in-line with the Church. I always feel like a scrooge at work bc they have tons of fundraisers and affilitiations with larger charities and I never participate bc there's always something I'm not morally comfortable with about the organization</strong>. In addition to the orgs mentioned above, these others participate in either funding Planned Parenthood, or other non-Catholic funding: Red Cross, March of Dimes, American Cancer Society, Boys and Girls Clubs, Ronald McDonald House Also -  for your animal lovers out there: Humane Society of America (the one with the Sarah Maclaughlin tear jerking commercial) gives less than 5% of their donations to actual animal shelters. Most of their money goes to lawyers that lobby against livestock farms. They are mainly a "make everyone vegan/try to stop livestock farms" organization. So - give money directly to your local shelter and NOT this place!
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

If I'm ever hit up for a fundraiser that I can't afford to give to or don't agree with, I just tell the people that I give to charities x and y. If people are pushing you at work, that's an issue that you may want to speak with a supervisor about.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    No, they don't push me at work. And I would have no problems standing up for myself either. It's my own personal self-consciousness: "Does everyone think I'm a careless, heartless person?"
  • Options
    I second St. Vincent.  I am not a fan of Catholic Charities, and don't even like giving money to the general collections at my parish because some of that money goes to CC.  I know a lot of terrible, not-putting-the-child-first stories about their adoption and fostering, and I'm just very against them for it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3159d8cc-9ee9-456c-9358-e01f2a4f98aaPost:06c09674-79d8-46ff-97e4-a55e812cc419">Re: Charities</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the suggestions so far! 90% of our charitable giving is through our local parish (or their recommendation). But I think it is good to "spread the wealth" to other organizations - as long as they are in-line with the Church. I always feel like a scrooge at work bc they have tons of fundraisers and affilitiations with larger charities and I never participate bc there's always something I'm not morally comfortable with about the organization. In addition to the orgs mentioned above, these others participate in either funding Planned Parenthood, or other non-Catholic funding: Red Cross, March of Dimes, American Cancer Society, Boys and Girls Clubs, Ronald McDonald House Also -<strong>  for your animal lovers out there: Humane Society of America (the one with the Sarah Maclaughlin tear jerking commercial) gives less than 5% of their donations to actual animal shelters. Most of their money goes to lawyers that lobby against livestock farms. They are mainly a "make everyone vegan/try to stop livestock farms" organization. So - give money directly to your local shelter and NOT this place!</strong>
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I appreciate a shout out for local animal shelters, but just wanted to clarify on this since I've been an ASPCA volunteer and help out a local cat rescue org.  The Sarah McLaughlin commerical is for the ASPCA, not the Humane Society.  It is true that the Humane Society is primarily a lobbying organization and doesn't give much to local shelters.  However, if you care about humane issues, a lobbying org is needed to help get certain laws passed, such as for humane livestock slaughter, etc.  Otherwise, you get animals being butchered up while they're still conscious, etc.  (i.e. this can happen if slit to the neck is not done properly.  Now cows must be rendered unconscious/killed by a bolt to the head before the rest of the slaughter process).  A current legislative goal they're working on is to get rid of pig gestation crates.  In these crates pregnant pigs are stuck for months, unable to turn around, covered in their own feces until they give birth.  It's very cruel but is standard practice on pig farms.  Anyway, not trying to be gross, just wanted to give example.</div><div>
    </div><div>As for the ASPCA, they do run an actual animal shelter in NYC (no-kill) and they take in animals from the local kill shelter that might get euthanized if they didn't get adopted.  They also do lobbying and humane education, etc. and in charge of humane law enforcement in NY (i.e. they investigate and arrest animal abusers).  </div><div>
    </div><div>Local rescue groups are also great to support.  I recently adopted my cats from a rescue group that saves the animals the morning they are scheduled to be euthanized (unfortunately the ASPCA can't take them all).  Usually the euthanasia is from lack of space in the shelter and not any behavior issues or untreatable illness of the animal.

</div><div>Also, if you care about animals and are interested in a christian/conservative viewpoint on animal welfare, I highly recommend the book Dominion by Matthew Scully.  He was a former speechwriter for President Bush and did investigative reporting on animal issues all over the world and the book is really eye opening.</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Power-Suffering-Animals-Mercy/dp/0312319738" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Power-Suffering-Animals-Mercy/dp/0312319738</a></div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3159d8cc-9ee9-456c-9358-e01f2a4f98aaPost:36943537-ccfa-49b1-884f-9048029dd739">Re: Charities</a>:
    [QUOTE]I second St. Vincent.  I am not a fan of Catholic Charities, and don't even like giving money to the general collections at my parish because some of that money goes to CC.  I know a lot of terrible, not-putting-the-child-first stories about their adoption and fostering, and I'm just very against them for it.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>I never knew that about them!  I only recently started looking into their adoption services, so I will keep that in mind!</div>
    Anniversary

• Options
    @ Femme

Thanks for the info regarding the animal charities.  And I agree that anti-animal cruelty legislation is important, even if less important that more directly human issues.

Everyone has different issues that really pull at them.  I think that's God's way of making sure all sorts of different needs are dealt with.

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3159d8cc-9ee9-456c-9358-e01f2a4f98aaPost:f842db13-de43-43ec-a1d4-d7454050b6bc">Re: Charities</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ Femme Thanks for the info regarding the animal charities.  And I agree that anti-animal cruelty legislation is important, even if less important that more directly human issues.<strong> Everyone has different issues that really pull at them.  I think that's God's way of making sure all sorts of different needs are dealt with.</strong>
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

Love this, and so true. Thanks for wording it so eloquently.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry, my point was that the Humane Society misrepresents themselves as being mostly linked to animal shelters. A close family member is involved in invesitgating the Humane Society's funding. The information I've been told is that most of their money is not helping to stop animal cruelty, but to shut down non-vegan organizations because they don't want animals used for food. And many would also contribute to that cause, but I think most people donating think they are helping shelter animals.

If you want to donate to animal shelters, you're better off going through your local shelter or the ASPCA.
  • Options
    I like Human Life International and have also been giving to Food for the Poor. I hear Pope Benedict likes them though I admittedly have not done tons of research.

Also Simcha wrote a blog post about this...

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/simcha-fisher/charities-you-ought-to-know
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I like to give to crisis pregnancy centers. There is one in particular that I was involved with in college that I stil like to donate to. It's very important to me that we back up the rhetoric about abortion with action to make it easier for mothers to keep their babies.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Def crisis preg centers!

• Options
    I also donate monthly to Food For The Poor. My mom gives regularly to Salesian Missions but I don't know much about them. I like donating to the local free clinic run through a catholic organization.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Look, I understand being pro life. I understand supporting pro life causes. But those crisis pregnancy centers LIE to largely uneducated women--telling them they aren't as far along as they are so they can't legally abort, acting like they can help provide abortion services when they don't and will do anying to stop it, promising these pregnant women that they'll help raise the baby (when they have no intention to or have no resources to actually do so)..... A noble cause, but very dubious methods.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3159d8cc-9ee9-456c-9358-e01f2a4f98aaPost:d6a7d305-f902-4acc-8e6c-72a2ea561dd6">Re: Charities</a>:
    [QUOTE]Look, I understand being pro life. I understand supporting pro life causes. But those crisis pregnancy centers LIE to largely uneducated women--telling them they aren't as far along as they are so they can't legally abort, acting like they can help provide abortion services when they don't and will do anying to stop it, promising these pregnant women that they'll help raise the baby (when they have no intention to or have no resources to actually do so)..... A noble cause, but very dubious methods.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you have any backing for saying such things?</div><div>
    </div><div>I am alive because of birthright and nurses for life-- which fully supported my birth mother.</div><div>
    </div><div>I also am very involved with people in all sorts of pro-life organizations and NONE of this would EVER happen. They have FULL intentions of assisting, and do assist after birth. </div>
  • Options
    I have heard of cases of what NOLA is talking about, but I also think it's a really terrible generalization.

I think some CPC's have distorted the truth to try to save a life (which I'm not saying is right), or sometimes just out of pure ignorance (there are not always licensed medical staff at these places)

But I think overall they're a lot more truthful than any Planned parenthood or abortion clinic.  Think about it this way... do CPCs have millions of dollars of profit at stake in this issue?  No.  But PP does.  There's been far more stories of how PP and abortion clinics will tell lies and withhold information from pregnant women.

I'm not saying misinformation is right in either situation, but the people I know who have worked in CPCs have always been very honest and knowledgable people. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    Read "unplanned" and you'll see dishonesty. Abby has some stories
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charities?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3159d8cc-9ee9-456c-9358-e01f2a4f98aaPost:d6a7d305-f902-4acc-8e6c-72a2ea561dd6">Re: Charities</a>:
    [QUOTE]Look, I understand being pro life. I understand supporting pro life causes. But those crisis pregnancy centers LIE to largely uneducated women--<strong>telling them they aren't as far along as they are so they can't legally abort</strong>, acting like they can help provide abortion services when they don't and will do anying to stop it, promising these pregnant women that they'll help raise the baby (when they have no intention to or have no resources to actually do so)..... A noble cause, but very dubious methods.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

To the first bold... do you mean the opposite?  Telling them they're further along than they are so they can't abort?

To the second bold... the media and pro-choice legal groups have blown this way out of proportion.  The worst I've ever seen are signs like "Seeking abortion?  Call #######" 

Yes, some people might think the place provides abortions, but it's not clearly stating they do.  So what?  The worst thing that could happen is that the person comes in and doesn't get an abortion.  They could still leave and get it somewhere else.  But when PP lies, the worst thing that could happen is that the person does get an abortion, which, of course, is irreversible. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I'm super late on this one... but I support our local network of crisis pregnancy center under the umbrella organization of "Total Lifecare Centers."  I believe they're more regional to the Midwest, but I'm sure that there are similar organizations across the country.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards