Catholic Weddings
Options

Invite Priest + Guest to reception?

I am going to send an invite to the priest who will be marrying us to come to the reception. Do I include a guest?

Thank you!

Re: Invite Priest + Guest to reception?

• Options
    echo136echo136 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think most often people dont. But I had this discussion with my boss (a priest) recently and he said its not fair that they dont get guests. So I am inviting them with guest. I know most wont bring one (we are inviting 3 priests)...the one might bring a seminarian.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we just invited hte priest to the RD and the reception.  no guest since he's not married, dating, engaged to anyone or even in a relationship.

if he does come, just take care to seat him at a table where he knows people.  if he wotn know anyone, then it might be nice to let him bring someone.

our priest came to our RD and had a great time.  he unfortunately couldnt make the reception as he had a baptism to do.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't have to give him a guest since he's not in a committed relationship.  However, if he doesn't know anyone other than you and FI, you might consider giving him a +1 just to make him more comfortable.

We had two priests officiate.  One was H's husband, so he knew H's family.  The other was our parish pastor, who ended up cancelling at the last minute because of church business.  Had he attended, he would have sat with H's uncle, since the two of them had communicated before planning for the wedding and my pastor hosted Tio at the parish.
  • Options
    laurAndJerlaurAndJer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I didn't even think about the RD. Thanks for mentioning that.

He will know a few people but I'm not sure if it's enough. I was thinking with a guest maybe he could bring a friend, and it might make things more comfortable for him. 

Thanks for the responses!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we invited our priest and the deacon and his wife to both the RD and the reception. As for our priest, we did not give him a plus 1. I guess it really never crossed my mind and no one said anything of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are inviting the Father and a guest plus the Deacon and his wife.  Fl's family is very close to both the Father and Deacon.. They both will be "marrying' us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    another thing to consider - priests are social.  its part of their nature.  they are used to doing things solo since they made a vow to be single.  your priest has probably been to numerous receptions or other gatherings where he doesnt know anyone or knows only a few.  he'll be ok.
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invite-priest-guest-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:31748c4a-47ca-405b-92c0-ea61009e0b7ePost:e4528ae3-e437-4e0b-a1a2-af832f2de952">Re: Invite Priest + Guest to reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]another thing to consider - priests are social.  its part of their nature.  they are used to doing things solo since they made a vow to be single.  your priest has probably been to numerous receptions or other gatherings where he doesn't know anyone or knows only a few.  he'll be ok.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

They didn't make a vow to be single, they made vows to poverty, abstinence and obedience.  A priest I know callled it "no honey, no money, shut up" and confessed that the shut up part was the most difficult.

There are a fairly good number of married priests in the US these days.  The pastor of Our Lady of the Sea in Nantucket was a widower, with children and grandchildren.  I know another priest here in NYC who converted from Episcopal to Catholic after he was married.  It never hurts to be sure.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invite-priest-guest-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:31748c4a-47ca-405b-92c0-ea61009e0b7ePost:8fc31826-6f34-4a2e-b803-ddb618b72f90">Re: Invite Priest + Guest to reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invite Priest + Guest to reception? : They didn't make a vow to be single, they made vows to poverty, abstinence and obedience.  A priest I know callled it "no honey, no money, shut up" and confessed that the shut up part was the most difficult. There are a fairly good number of married priests in the US these days.  The pastor of Our Lady of the Sea in Nantucket was a widower, with children and grandchildren.  I know another priest here in NYC who converted from Episcopal to Catholic after he was married.  It never hurts to be sure.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually this isn't correct.</div><div>
    </div><div>A secular priest (For a diocese) makes promises (not technically vows) to the bishop of Chastity and Obedience. (There is a difference between chastity and abstinence). They do not vow poverty.</div><div>
    </div><div>Religious priests vow poverty, and sometimes a 4th vow such as stability, depending on the charism of the particular order or community.</div><div>
    </div><div>Most priests in the latin rite are single, very few are married (and this only happens in special circumstances). </div><div>
    </div><div>Once a priest is ordained, however, he cannot marry. Same with deacons.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards