Catholic Weddings
Options

Catholic ceremony

Hi there! My fiance and I both have always imagined a wedding ceremony in the Catholic church, but neither of us are confirmed. Our reception site is close to two hours away (but not that far for our guests). If we go through adult confirmation around where we live, are we able to get married in another Catholic church closer to the reception site? I thought we could, but someone told me that we would have to become members of the church where we want to hold our ceremony in order for the priest to marry us. Is this true? Thank you!

Re: Catholic ceremony

• Options
    edited December 2011

Firstly, I believe that for many churchs you just need to be baptized Catholic, not confirmed, so that probably won't be a problem. I know that our church just wanted to see Baptism certificates. I'm assuming you're both baptized - if not, unless you go through RCIA first, it will be a no go. If you cannot find your baptism certificate, you can contact the church where you were baptized and they should be able to send you a new copy (I had this done w/ St. Gregory's in Fort Lauderdale through emails w/ parish staff)

As far as getting a closer church, I would just contact the church you want to get married at and see what their rules are. Some churchs understand that you are choosing to get married closer to family/far from your hometown and will be amenable to you having a mass there, so long as you fill their requirements for marriage preparation (pre cana classes/engagement encounter weekends, etc). Other churchs do require you to be an active member of their parish. You won't know until you ask. My parents were getting married in FL, where their family was from, but lived in GA. They were able to get married through their parent's church.

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on the church. Some are very busy and can only accommodate weddings for parish members (or at least give them priority), but some are more flexible. They may also require that you're at least a regular member of your own parish.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3598f032-b3a4-4793-90e1-90c46e82be71Post:04052ff1-c94c-44ed-9ecf-0b9195b7d624">Re: Catholic ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Firstly, I believe that for many churchs you just need to be baptized Catholic, not confirmed, so that probably won't be a problem. I know that our church just wanted to see Baptism certificates. I'm assuming you're both baptized - if not, unless you go through RCIA first, it will be a no go. If you cannot find your baptism certificate, you can contact the church where you were baptized and they should be able to send you a new copy (I had this done w/ St. Gregory's in Fort Lauderdale through emails w/ parish staff) As far as getting a closer church, I would just contact the church you want to get married at and see what their rules are. Some churchs understand that you are choosing to get married closer to family/far from your hometown and will be amenable to you having a mass there, so long as you fill their requirements for marriage preparation (pre cana classes/engagement encounter weekends, etc). Other churchs do require you to be an active member of their parish. You won't know until you ask. My parents were getting married in FL, where their family was from, but lived in GA. They were able to get married through their parent's church.
    Posted by laurenes[/QUOTE]

This. And to be clear, Canon Law says you don't have to be Confirmed to be married in the Catholic Church - so don't let a misguided staff member (be they priest or lay person) convince you otherwise.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, canon law DOES say you have to be confirmed to be married.

Can.  1065 §1. Catholics who have not yet received the sacrament of confirmation are to receive it before they are admitted to marriage if it can be done without grave inconvenience.

Marriage is a vocational sacrament, while confirmation is a sacrament of initiation. It makes sense that one should be fully inititated before they choose a vocation.

There are exceptions, as stated in the canon..

. but for the OP's concerns, the church that does RCIA can be different than marriage.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

confirmation is not required.  strongly encouraged.  the wording in the canon law does have loopholes.  it doesnt say its "required". 

this wording:
    if it can be done without grave inconvenience

for example, i would think its a grave inconvenience if a couple plans to marry outside of the church if confrimation is forced, or if its an older couple who doesnt want to delay marriage because of their ages, or if a couple wishes to marry and they are pregnant and want to be married before the baby is born.

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I with the "ask your priest" group.

Here, confirmation isn't requred but the church where the wedding was held, require it.  Groom had missed his confirmation due to a move in middle school so he was confirmed shortly before the wedding too place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards