Pennsylvania-Central

DJ Recommendations please!

Hey ladies!

We are in the process of scouting out local DJ's for our reception next October and I would LOVE some personal recommendations. We are looking for someone professional, preferrably a smaller company (not one of those companies that have over 50 DJ's), and someone who will LISTEN to our music tastes and requests and incorporate them completely into the playlist of the reception but using their professional expertise when doing so in order to deliver it effectively to the crowd on the dancefloor. We are both avid music lovers and I feel like this is the portion of the reception that we are most worried about and that we are ultimately going to be the most picky about! Any helpful recommendations would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Re: DJ Recommendations please!

• edited December 2011
    We used MixedUp Productions.  We had Mike Miller as our DJ (Kiss FM, owner of MUP).  He was fantastic!  He totally took all of the worry away from us.  He gave us great ideas on how the night should go and totally listened to what music choices we wanted.  Seriously, the dance floor filled up between courses during the dinner!!!  I was worried that Our family wouldn't dance etc etc.  THEY DID...like everyone danced!  I felt like he gave us a great combo of our music and music that you would want to dance to at a reception.  You know what I mean?  He was one of our FAVORITE vendors.  Not just saying that.  He has 2 or 3 other Dj's that work for him.  Some who do radio work now...some who used to.  I had a knottie friend use MUP and used Ronnie as her DJ and loved him!   MUP is totally worth whatever you pay them...no joke. Would hire them again in a second. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ncd5015ncd5015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Mike Miller at Mixed Up Productions! He did my sister's wedding and he was awesome! I've also been at weddings/events where Denny from WINK 104 and Newman from BOB 949 were the DJs and both were excellent and professional! HTH!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • slpankuchslpankuch member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Adam McCallister from Birdsnest Productions in York, PA. He travels all over Central PA with no extra fee. He is wonderful! My FI and I clicked with him right away. He met us at our neighborhood bar and was very down to earth. He understands that some DJs have "digital DJ diarrhea" - when they talk too much and make the center of attention on them rather than the married couple.
    He will focus everything on you. He helps to make a list of music and keeps with the theme of your ideas and expands on them.

His prices are also AMAZING..best in the area. Plus he has cheap lighting packages that I normally couldn't afford!

Fbook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adam-McCallister-Birdsnest-Productions/204887869545810

Knot + website: http://www.theknot.com/Vendors/Adam-McCallister-Birdsnest-Productions/Profile/DJS/031/416484/profile

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Eah5144Eah5144 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies! I Have already heard wonderful things about both Adam McCallister & Mixed Up Productions and I'm in the process of setting up a consultation with them but I really aprpeciate your extra input! :)
  • edited December 2011
    ABSOLUTELY Adam McCallister!!!
  • jnpfautzjnpfautz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely Adam McCallister!!  He's awesome - I only had 2 meetings with DJ's set up and Adam was the first one we met with and I really wanted to cancel the other meeting!  We booked Adam Mcallister a few days later...
  • kimberlyr22kimberlyr22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What day is your reception in October? I can help you with some leg work if it's October 20th. I've talked to 18 DJs in the area so far and 13 are booked/not available. It's a mess!!!   

EDIT: I see it's October 13th...whew, one less competition for who's left! What venue are you using (Just Curious) .. we could find nothing open that day...i'm a little jealous :)
    photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • edited December 2011
    Mixed up! We had Ronnie Ramone from the Rose and it was perfect.
  • cmng2703cmng2703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely Adam McAllister. Agree with above posts-we clicked with him right away. He will be doing our reception on 1/14/2012. He really works with you and what you want your big day to be like. He has been so great to work with!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree we are also using Adam McCallister, he has been wonderful to work with!
  • hlzanderhlzander member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend Matt Haines with Mixed Impressions DJs. I met him at a bridal show, we clicked, and then I realized he also was the DJ at my friend's wedding (everyone was on the dance floor at that wedding btw). He is down to earth, reasonably priced, and makes it all about you. Check him out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Started dating: 10/25/05 My 21st birthday & our engagement: 3/13/10 The first day of the rest of our lives: 6/9/12
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Mike Miller from MUP as well!  Great guy, very professional and I can't wait for our reception. :)
    Anniversary
  • Eah5144Eah5144 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you everyone for the recommendations :) We have appointments with Adam McCallister and Damian from Mixed up productions..any one ever work with him? I spoke to MIke Miller and he assured me 100% that Damian is top of the line so we will see if we click.

@Kimberly22--our reception is at West Shore Country Club FYI.. :) We were between WSCC on 10/13/12 and Peter Allen House on 10/20/12 and we decided to go with WSCC due to the uncertainty of the weather that late in October and running the risk of having a chilly outdoor reception @ Peter Allen. Can't believe you had such a struggle finding 10/13...every venue we checked seemed to have it open and I assumed it was because of the 'unlucky 13' superstitions lol.

• kimberlyr22kimberlyr22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We were looking in the York/Lancaster area. The 13th of October is a popular date for not just weddings, but also non profit groups because it's the Penn State football bye week (reason we were looking at the 13th). The majority of the venues we loved that were not available was due to non profits, and not weddings. 

DJs are a different story - I'm going to the Bridal Show at Eden Resort this weekend hoping I can find a decent DJ with availability. All the recommended ones are booked on my date. The ones who are open want $1200+ (my budget is under $1000 for a DJ - and the more affordable DJ I can find, the higher my photography budget goes up -- which is necessary because the affordable photogs are also booked!).  I'm still trying to convince my fiance to Elope!

photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • jnpfautzjnpfautz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to the bridal show this weekend too!!  I want to check out all the bakeries - my next task is working on finding a place to get our cake!
  • SHALYNNMARIESHALYNNMARIE member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ill be there  on sunday, i think i even convinced my FI to go HOOWOO!!!.... house of clarendon is one of the best bakeries in lancaster- however they are a but pricey. I have also had wedding cakes from Oregon Dairy and it was very pretty and tasty.

blog post photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bml870bml870 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We booked Mixed Up productions for our wedding in April and I am so excited! I know we won't have to worry about Mike getting our guests dancing!!
  • youfoundgloryoufoundglor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would highly recommend Ernie Markum out of Hanover, PA. He is a great guy and very personable. Awesome music selection. Ernie is also very, very organized. He gives you a planner to brainstorm the style of DJ work you like. Then, a month prior to the wedding he sits down with you to talk about your day. You discuss music choice, what is said and what isn't, and the order in which you want things done. Very reasobably priced. Hope this helps! 7176322992 ask for Ernie Markum :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards