Catholic Weddings

What do bridesmaids do in mass?

I've never been to a catholic wedding, so I'm not quite sure how things go down. we're planning a Friday wedding, and I'm concerned not all my out of town bridesmaids will be able to get enough work off to make a Thursday rehearsal. That's kind of important, right? Or is it? What exactly is the role of a bridesmaid during a wedding mass? Is it worth changing my date over?

Re: What do bridesmaids do in mass?

• edited December 2011
    Make sure you check with your parish that a Friday wedding is okay -- mine wouldn't do it.

As for what they "do," it's not too different from any other wedding ceremony.  They stand there and look pretty, although I think almost all parishes have the wedding party sit down for a large part of the service because it can be a long time to stand.  I think it would be nice for them to attend the rehearsal, especially if some of them are not Catholic.  I'm considering asking our WP to sort of demonstrate how to ask for a blessing if they are not receiving communion (along with the priest announcing, of course), and I would think that discussion would go on during the rehearsal.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, my BM's pretty much stood there and looked pretty. Of course, my MOH helped fix my dress when we were knealing in front of the altar and helped me get set for pics afterwards (fixing the train on the dress, etc).

And definitely check with the church about Friday weddings, I know some are really picky on that. I know our church wouldn't do Saturday evening weddings due to the 5:30 pm mass.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My maids of honor sat up front with H and me.  My closer MOH arranged my train every time I had to move (bless her for doing that thankless job).  The other one held my bouquet.  The bridesmaids were in the first pew next to my parents for most of the service.  They only stood at the altar when H and I were exchanging our vows.
  • lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MOH held my bouquet during the ceremony.  They were seated in the first pew and we were on the alter.  They don't do much during the ceremony. 
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    If your bridesmaids can't attend the rehearsal, consider having them attend a "regular" Mass with you at any time between now and the wedding. The second half of a nuptial Mass isn't much different from an "ordinary" Mass. This way, they'll be familiar with the liturgy.

After all, what do bridesmaids do in Mass? Ideally, pray, adore, worship... I know everyone here knows that, but I'd thought I'd make it explicit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards