Catholic Weddings
Options

Reception Traditions

Are there any Catholic traditions people do at the reception that I may try to incorportate into our reception?

Re: Reception Traditions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't think of any off the top of my head. We didn't do anything special. We had full mass, and that was special enough to us and our family and friends.
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I can't think of any for the reception.

The deacon lead the prayer before the meal but that's about the only thing that was particularly religious about the reception.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    none at the reception, other than if your priest attends (he should be invited) he normally gives a blessing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish our priest or deacon was there for the blessing before dinner, but they had the Saturday evening mass to preside over, and we couldn't of had that much of a gap considering our wedding was at 1pm.
  • Options
    virgincitavirgincita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not a "tradition" per se, but we requested that our DJ keep the music clean void of blatant references to casual sex (i.e. no Lady Gaga or Shakira). If, as Catholics, we frown apon the dehumanization of sex, why have music playing that does just that?

It did severly limit our choice of music, but I think it is a good sacrifice to honor the sacrament we will have just gone through.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_reception-traditions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3da0400c-2aa5-46ad-a8d8-632c9e8435eePost:2994214c-1d28-42ec-add8-5dccbd321fc9">Re: Reception Traditions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not a "tradition" per se, but we requested that our DJ keep the music clean void of blatant references to casual sex (i.e. no Lady Gaga or Shakira). If, as Catholics, we frown apon the dehumanization of sex, why have music playing that does just that? It did severly limit our choice of music, but I think it is a good sacrifice to honor the sacrament we will have just gone through.
    Posted by virgincita[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we did that, too. Our Grandma's would have probably died if they heard a cuss word in one of the songs. We gave him a specific song list and then categories he could play from as long as we kept it "pg or pg-13".
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our Priest will say a blessing before dinner. And we are giving out Holy Cards as one of our favors. On one side will be a picture of St. Gianna (our patroness) or of the Holy Family, and on the other will be our names and wedding date and a prayer for a happy marriage or for married couples or something similar.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Other than the blessing before the meal, I don't think we did anything that I hadn't seen at secular weddings.  We avoided suggestive or overtly dirty songs, but I think we would have regardless as there were a bunch of geriatric relatives in attendance!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_reception-traditions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:3da0400c-2aa5-46ad-a8d8-632c9e8435eePost:143f7147-b8ca-4e77-a9c4-da3cad263b04">Re: Reception Traditions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reception Traditions : Yeah, we did that, too. Our Grandma's would have probably died if they heard a cuss word in one of the songs. We gave him a specific song list and then categories he could play from as long as we kept it "pg or pg-13".
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

We did this too.  Our DJ didn't quite get it at first, so we had to give him a list of songs and artists that were definitively prohibited, as well as a list of certain words that should not be in any of the songs.  We ended up with a lot of swing and big band music, along with some cleaner dance music.  Everyone had a lot of fun dancing, and it was nice not to have to hear trashy lyrics.
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of what pp have said... prayer before the meal from our priest, and not overly raunchy songs.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards