Catholic Weddings
Options

Donating to priest doing preparation but getting married elsewhere

Hey all,

So, our preparation is all done, and I invited the priest to the wedding but he RSVP'd no...I know saturdays are big days in the church and it would be quite a travel for him to go, so I wasn't expecting him to accept or anything.  My question is, I feel like I should make a donation and send a card as a thankyou for doing our preparation (we only met with him twice, mind you)...but how much/how (check to him or the church?)???  I'm paying the priest who's conducting the ceremony $300, and then I think a $200 for using the church...so I was thinking maybe $100.
What do you think?

Re: Donating to priest doing preparation but getting married elsewhere

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We did most of our preparation where we currently live and attend church and we did not give our priest anything. We were married in our home state and paid the church fees, etc there. We see the priest who did our marriage prep regularly at church and he has never mentioned or given us reason to believe that we should have. I don't think it is really necessary IMO.
  • Options
    Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Considering you only met with him twice and he probably considers it a regular part of his job, I don't think you need to pay him for the preparation work. I do think you need to send a heartfelt card thanking him for his guidance and assistance as you prepared for marriage. If you do feel inclined to make a donation, you could make it to the church.

We paid our priest a larger sum mainly because he traveled to do our wedding in another state. He also did several sessions of marriage prep with us, but we weren't really considering that when deciding on a sum to pay him. We have, however, written him a couple of different thank you cards and included a message about the marriage prep.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did the prep and payed for the prep at my parish, but we are getting married in my hometown.  Our "prep" priest is not coming to  the wedding (we did invite him, but it's 3 hours away).   I would think a card would be sufficient! 
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all!  A nice thankyou card it will be :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards