Catholic Weddings

Can a catholic priest do an offsite wedding in Chicago??

Has anyone had a service NOT in a church, but with a catholic priest or deacon in Chicago? We're getting married next fall at the Chicago Cultural Center and planning to also have the service there due to same health issues with my family. Appreciate any contacts or advice you have!!
to love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance

Re: Can a catholic priest do an offsite wedding in Chicago??

• A Catholic must be married in a Catholic church with a priest or deacon. This is canonical form. Sometimes, a Catholic can be dispensed from form for a serious reason. (such as the future spouse's parent is a pastor at another church).  You would hvae to talk to a priest in order to find out if your situation is serious enough to be dispensed from form.

The problem here is that you made your decisions already, and now as a 2nd thought trying to get a priest/deacon to attend. Rather, the first priority should be to have a valid marriage in the church, and then see how it can be arranged for your needs. Please don't put any money down, see a priest as soon as possible and explain your situation. 
  • Just to add to what agape said, there are many entities which call themselves Catholic who will perform ceremonies outside of the walls of the church, but they are NOT in communion with Rome and any marriages they perform would not be considered valid.  I only bring it up because occasionally girls think, "Oh, yes, I can get married at _________!" only to learn later that they are not following/did not follow proper form.

And agape is right.  A Catholic is bound by form.  I'm not sure about the family health issues, but you would have to talk to a priest about your options.  Since you're getting married a year and a half from now, you've got plenty of time to work on options.

FWIW, my grandmother has serious health issues and had major heart surgery a month before my wedding.  She ended up not able to make the trip down to Texas, but the church was more than accommodating with plans to make sure she was as comfortable as she could be if she made the trip.
    Anniversary

• ehlermiehlermi member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I really appreciate the input. My dad has stage 4 lung cancer and we're all optimistic for next year. I spoke with the pastor at a prominent church in Chicago. It sounds like with dispensation it can be done. I was just curious if anyone has ever gotten dispensation...or worked with a retired priest?
    to love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance
  • Where do people get this "retired priest" thing from?  (I'm not trying to knock the original poster or anyone for that matter so please don't take it that way...).  It is just the fifth or sixth time I've seen or heard people talk about the retired priest thing.  All priests, retired or not, are bound by the rules of the church so just because a priest is retired it doesn't mean they will break those laws and perform a park or beach wedding...  Does anyone know where this misinformation came from?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_can-a-catholic-priest-do-an-offsite-wedding-in-chicago?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:412eaaa3-6ccb-4b6a-a972-98301760aa61Post:c69231b4-73d5-45f2-8c25-9ebad7f85391">Re: Can a catholic priest do an offsite wedding in Chicago??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where do people get this "retired priest" thing from?  (I'm not trying to knock the original poster or anyone for that matter so please don't take it that way...).  It is just the fifth or sixth time I've seen or heard people talk about the retired priest thing.  All priests, retired or not, are bound by the rules of the church so just because a priest is retired it doesn't mean they will break those laws and perform a park or beach wedding...  Does anyone know where this misinformation came from?
    Posted by jenjlgsings[/QUOTE]

It probably comes from the same place as those churches who claim to be really Catholic but aren't (like, literally, a girl came to the DFW board and posted a link to a church website that had a page entitled, "Yes, we ARE Catholic!").  Sometimes these "retired" priests were actually asked to step down because something they were doing was wrong.  If they don't think they're wrong, I'm sure they could go right on performing marriages, and unfortunately many people can be misinformed.  =(
    Anniversary

• Also, OP, it sounds like you are going through the right channels to make sure everything follows proper form.  I hope that things work out for you so that your dad can be there!
    Anniversary

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think there are two types of "retired" priests - those who have actually retired from the Church is the proper way - and those who have lost their faculties/left the Church but prefer to call it "retirement".

Properly retired priests can still perform ceremonies as they still have their faculties.

Priests that have been discharged may call themselves "retired" and they can perform civil ceremonies, but they would not be proper Catholic ceremonies. I consider these the same as "rent-a-priests". A Catholic wanting to be married according the Church should stay far away from these former priests.
  • Eliz77Eliz77 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    When I 1st decided on my venue, after the coordinator heard we wouldn't be having a ceremoy there and would be  getting married at a Catholic Church, she mentioned they had had "road priests" come in and perfrom marriages. She offered to get us more information and I wish I had just to see what the deal there was! Wonder if it was some of those "retired" priests.
    ~ES~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards