Catholic Weddings

Participants in the Mass

Good Morning Ladies,

I just spoke with the coordinator for our church and she informed me that we only need to pick 2 people to do readings. I asked about including my godparents by having them bring up the gifts and she said that isn't done since a collection isn't taken. I'm now confused since I've seen people on this board mention including people this way as well as having a third person for prayers of the faithful. In fact, she didn't even mention that we need to write those. What am I missing? Do different churches do it differently?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Participants in the Mass

• Are you having a full mass? If so, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pick two people to bring up the bread and wine. We had our ushers do this, but I have seen the mothers do this or other people the couple chooses. Also we had a third person do the prayers of the faithful as well. Maybe you can talk to the priest that will be officiating directly to ask these questions.
  • We are doing a full mass. By the coordinator said she would already have the bread and wine on the alter and that gifts are only brought up if there is a collection taken. I'm trying to schedule a meeting with our priest to get a better understanding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess that is a parish-by-parish thing.  At our church it was optional, we could either select gift presenters or we could have the bread and wine at the altar.

You might just say, "Hey, these people are very special to us and we would like for them to have this one role."  I guess if they are firm in their "no," you'll have to let it go, but hopefully they will work with you.
    Anniversary

• it also depends on the type of Mass - in the Latin Mass, gifts are always up on the altar, they are never carried up.
  • oh good grief. I hate it when people in positions of authority don't know anything. Assuming, (as Calypso mentioned,) that this is NOT a Latin Mass, check out the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, THE primary document giving the rubrics for the Mass. (Feel free to print out the applicable section and show this lady. Hey, maybe she'll actually READ it before telling people how Mass should go...)

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-2.cfm

From paragraph 73: 
    The offerings are then brought forward. It is a praiseworthy practice for the bread and wine to be presented by the faithful. They are then accepted at an appropriate place by the Priest or the Deacon to be carried to the altar. Even though the faithful no longer bring from their own possessions the bread and wine intended for the liturgy as was once the case, nevertheless the rite of carrying up the offerings still keeps its spiritual efficacy and significance.
    Anniversary
  • edited November 2012
    We didn't have full Mass.
    To incorporate loved ones, we had a different reader for Prayers of the Faithful.
    You could have a lazo presentation [we did this as well as arras].

In Mexican weddings there are usually 'padrinos' for cushions, the flowers you offer to Mary, a bible, and all kinds of things! lol
    So if you'd like to involve more people, there are definitely ways :)

Good luck!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards