Catholic Weddings
Options

Covered Shoulders at Ceremony

So I purchased my dress (YAY!) and yes, I did purchase it a tad early, but I fell in love and couldn't pass it up.  It is all lace and the veil has lace as well.  I'm afraid that by having a lace bolero made for the ceremony would take away from the look of the dress, and veil as well, but I LOVE the idea of having covered shoulders for church. I've attached a picture below so that everyone could get an idea of what the dress and veil look like.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Covered Shoulders at Ceremony

• Options
    I think the lace bolero will look lovely with it! 
    Personally, I'm very glad that I wore a bolero in the church. Besides the modesty reasons, I'm actually glad that it provided variety for my pictures, since obviously the church pictures will have the bolero, and you can do the rest of the pictures with or without it!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for your input!  When I go to pick up my dress, which they said would probably be in November-December, I am going to ask them about ordering lace to make a bolero.  I did find some really nice ideas and pictures when googling.  Again, I just afraid of it being too much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    you might HAVE to get a bolero - some priests/parishes dont allow strapless due to modesty.

that aside, i think what you have in mind would look just fine.  i dont think it will be too much lace.
  • Options
    Beautiful!!! You look so happy!

I was very surprised to find that my parents' church doesn't mind bare shoulders. That said, I'm still planning on going the bolero route. When you pick up your dress, see if they have any samples that you can pair it with just to get the look. :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_covered-shoulders-at-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:47ea05f5-abe1-4b67-a125-1408035bdac2Post:aeabfcf7-c75c-4928-a94c-decdb88ed183">Re: Covered Shoulders at Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the lace bolero will look lovely with it!  Personally, I'm very glad that I wore a bolero in the church. Besides the modesty reasons, I'm actually glad  that it provided variety for my pictures, since obviously the church pictures will have the bolero, and you can do the rest of the pictures with or without it!
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  I love the versatility a bolero provides.  Plus, they are adorable!

That said, I did not get a bolero, and my particular parish was fine with bare shoulders.  Just check with them to be safe!
    Anniversary

• Options
    The dress looks amazing on you!!! I like the bolero idea as well!
  • Options
    Lovely! I don't think the bolero would be too much, but I would definitely try some on and see what they look like.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They did tell me with anothe dress I had tried on that they could jut order an extra yard of the fabric and make the bolero, so I want to assume that they coud do the same with the lace.  When I go and pick up my dress, I will definitely ask them. Thanks so much ladies!

And yes, I felt great in the dress!  I do plan on toning up some more and losing some more weight and the head of their alterations department is also a dressmaker so they said she has tons of experiences altering dresses when brides have lost too much weight :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The dress looks beautiful on you!!  I agree with the other ladies that a lace bolero would look lovely :)  For mine, I didn't necessarily need my shoulders covered and simply had my seamstress add a bateau neckline in tulle that matched the bodice to convert the strapless dress to one with straps.  I love love love the look of boleros, though :)  I browsed many a lovely one on etsy back when I was trying to decide what to do with my dress!
  • Options
    I've also seen a few dresses with detachable three-inch straps that looked very pretty, if you can't find a bolero you like.
    Anniversary

• Options
    My priest told be i didnt have to cover my shoulders, which i was happy about because my dress is a halter top that has alot if detail to it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards