Catholic Weddings
Options

Engaged Encounter Questions

Hi girls!

My fiance and I have been engaged since April and we're getting married in November 2011.  We've already met with our priest (although he's being sent to another parish and we don't know who will be replacing him as our officiant yet--yikes!!!) and we will be returning to take the FOCCUS between August and September. 

How many of you have participated in the entire weekend retreat?  We're seriously considering doing the weekend instead of the day program

Re: Engaged Encounter Questions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We did our EE weekend back in March. To be honest with you, I had a bad attitude about it before we went although it was required. H kept telling me "please just have a positive attitude and an open mind about what they say." So I tried my darndest and we both got a lot out of the weekend session. I was sure we had talked about everything ourselves and some with our priest about all there was to know in a marriage. Well, I wouldn't say I was wrong, but it is definitely different learning from someone who has been there, done that.

Our session was lead by a priest, 2 couples, one older with grown children and even grandchildren, the other a couple who had been married about 10 yrs and was still having children. I will say that it was also very emotional (but maybe that is just me) at times due to some of the stories they shared. These people were truly awesome, they are there to help you and they want you to have the best marriage possible. There were people there from other faiths as well, so if one of you is not Catholic, they really do a good job of emphasizing Christian marriage and life, etc.

I will say it was very fast paced, you were on a tight schedule, but it was fun. We didn't get a lot of sleep (but I think our venue was partly to blame bc the bed were twin size and really uncomfortable) but other than that, we have nothing but good things to say. It really helped us see what marriage is really like in the long term.

I am sure you both will get a lot out of it. I would definitely recommend it. You can register online at: engagedencounter.org Just search for your state/area, etc. If you need any more help, you can page me on this board or PM me. Good luck!
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did and we really enjoyed it.  it was fun.  
  • Options
    Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did an EE weekend and loved it. It is so much more about you two as a couple interacting with each other than sitting in a classroom and getting lectured in a big group. As PP said, there are 2 couples and a priest on the retreat with you and they take turns telling stories from their own life experience on different topics. You then get a list of questions on each topic and take time to write privately in a notebook to each other. Then, we got together in a PRIVATE room, just the two of us, and discussed our thoughts. There were a lot of emotional moments and it was a great experience. I agree that it was fast-paced and you don't get a lot of rest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have to do a weekend program and a day long seminar. We did however, have the option of meeting once a week for six weeks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • Options
    Duchess0782Duchess0782 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We did it and I too had a so-so attitude going into it, but it was well worth it... hightly recommend it. Ditto on the above posts about the Emotional parts...some of the stories and talks are pretty powerfu.  overall though a very good experience.

• Options
    jsaveis20jsaveis20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sister, let me tell you!

Charlie and I did the one-day gig and it wasn't bad at all! It was a tad corney, though, I must say...I wasn't too thriled about it prior to it starting but I lightened up midway through.

We started off lookng for another couple as part of what at first seemed like a cheesy icebreaker that tured out to be a fun get-together. Once you talk to someone else, you suddenly don't feel like the world's buggest loser any more!

We had several LONG talks by other older couples in the parish who we have known for years...We listened to several stories and even discussed sex! We had lunch provided and then took a test on a computer similar to that of compatibility, which turned out to be a waste of time! Trust me, the priest will marry you regardless!

Hope that helps! GOD BLESS!

Jess
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FL and I went to a weekend EE retreat. We both learned a lot that weekend and really enjoyed it..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Celeste19Celeste19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just did EE weekends a wk ago. It really helped us talk about all sorts of things we may have not talked about before the wedding.  It makes for a long weekend, but it was well worth it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards