Catholic Weddings

NWR- Baptism gift from godmother?

I am going to be my new nephew's godmother, and I'm trying to think of something meaningful to give him at his Baptism. My sister is using the same gown that my siblings and I were baptised in, so I won't be buying a new one of those.

I'd like to give them something somewhat practical but still meaningful. 'Things' are hard, because they are still in a one bedroom apartment and and my BIL hates clutter and extra 'stuff'. Do people do things like savings bonds still? That seems so old school... Also, I'm likely going to be in the only godparent, as her husband's family isn't Catholic and our brother is divorced and remarried so not in good standing with the church at the moment.

I thought you Catholic ladies might have some ideas for me! TIA.

Re: NWR- Baptism gift from godmother?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do they have a kids' bible? I absolutely loved mine when I was little.

A savings bond is certainly practical and will be appreciated, but it seems a little... unsentimental to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

In my family, the godmother gives a silver baby cup, engraved with the baby's initials.

Religious items, such as a necklace with a cross or a silver rosary come with the First Communion.

• echo136echo136 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my Goddaughters Baptism (I am also her only Godparent) I got her a cross for her bedroom (cute Noahs ark cross which fit with her bedroom), a chidlren's Bible and I think some veggie tales movies.  My sister got her Godson a rosary, children's Bible and veggie tales.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions so far (keep them coming). A cross for his room (when he has one) is a good idea. I had been thinking a cross necklace if he had been a girl, but that wouldn't work now so the one for the room is good. I was thinking a children's bible as well.
    Sentimental gifts for girls are so much easier... maybe because I am one, but still :)
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I gave my godson a Toddler's Bible and some cute toys/clothing.  My parents gave him a silver train engine/piggy bank.

Eta: oops, misspelled toddler
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

the silver baby cups are really nice.  my mom got one for each of us and i know she's bought them for other babies in teh family, although more as a baby gift rather than a baptism gift.

rosaries and childrens bibles are always appropriate as well.

• edited December 2011
    I actually work at a bank so I am all about savings bonds! But you do need one of the parents Social Security number. Maybe something sentimental like a cross necklace(I still have mine!) and a bond. If they keep them until he is older the bond can really add up! And tons of people do them for new babies:)
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • edited December 2011
    I got my godson a cross with shamrocks pained on it for his room and a matching little bank.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited December 2011
    I got both my goddaughters toddler bibles and a picture frame.
    For christmas one year I bought them both Fisher Price Noah's Ark. it came with all the people and animals.
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

My parents had books on saints for children that I loved to read through when I was little!  I love all the other suggestions above...

• edited December 2011
    My son was Christened last year in a double ceremony with my First Communion. His Godmother bought his suit which was later preserved and boxed up, She also bought him a praying teddy bear so he can learn his nighttime prayer from it. His Godfather bought him a gold necklace.

This may also be different for your culture. FIs family is Mexican and the suit and jewelry is the traditional gift.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Depending on his first and middle names, a medal commemorating the Patron Saint would be nice.  There are music boxes for children with religious based songs, or children's CD's with Christian/religious based music.  Children's Letters to God is an adorable collection of books.  You can even find a "Baby's First PIcture Bible" book.

My children are Godparents to their much younger cousin.  They give her a savings bond for every birthday, and a special ornament every Christmas, and plan on maintaining that tradition.  Although it is out of season, you could start the ball rolling with something like that.
  • edited December 2011
    I honestly don't remember what I gave my godchildren for their baptisms! It's been 12 and 18 years ago!    I think I gave my godson a print that he still has hanging in his bedroom.  I was young and in school for most of their lives!  But I always got them something special for Christmas (usually a book in addition to what I was giving the rest of the nieces/nephews) and their birthdays.   I also bought their first rosaries and such.    

Savings bonds are a great thing- my husband had a bunch that we just cashed in when we bought our house (and he's 35!!)
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards