Catholic Weddings

Kind of a Continuation...

I just found this board and it's probably the place I should be posting my questions about a Catholic wedding!

The Father who I thought was our Officiant is a little less than helpful and has screwed up our paper work a few times now. He's also had 6 months to send in our paper work to the Diocese for the Bishop to approve our marriage. I couldn't believe this hadn't been done! He sent us home with paperwork for our parents to fill out and sign, now he's told us he was supposed to interview them so we have to have that happen before the paper work get's sent in. It's wrong of me but I'm kind of hoping he gets transfered. :S

At our marriage prep course I met another Father who I really liked and felt was very approachable, easy-going and informative! But I'm not sure if he's from our Parish... if I find out our current Officiant get's transfered would it be appropriate to ask the other Father to be our officiant? This is really important to me and I'm feel a little lost.

Re: Kind of a Continuation...

• lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    do you have a reason to think he will get transfered? most diocese's don't transfer priests except like every 5-10 years, so it's not that likely this will happen in the next couple months!
    Anniversary
  • IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, ditto lalaith. Priests don't transfer very often. I had a little snafu with the priest that is marrying us, but it turned out to be a miscommunication and all is well. Especially if they don't know you personally, it can feel a little business-like, but trust me, they have you and your FI's best intentions in mind. Try to give him a second chance, since I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon (unless you have a reason to believe so). 

ETA: I see we're getting married around the same time. None of our paperwork has been sent to the Diocese yet, so I wouldn't stress. Heck, we just started our marriage prep classes. 
  • sarah0632sarah0632 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yes sorry I wasn't clear!! Well when I booked the Church last August he was our Officiant. He told me he had transfered there from the Philippines almost 3 years earlier. I was so excited as my fiance is Philippino. Well after our marriage prep last weekend I had lots of questions and was given a book regarding the ceremony so I wanted to begin planning. It had also felt like it had been awhile since I spoke with him and wanted to make sure everything was in order because I'll be sending invites out in a month and we're DIY them so as I print I want everything correct. So we met with him a few days ago and he tells us in June the Bishop posts new assignments and there's a very good chance he'll be transfered. He also made it seem like he might not be our Officiant even if he doesn't get transfered. He kept repeating that "his job was to get our paper work ready".
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Not sure on this one.  In the small towns I have lived in the past, priests are changed every year or two.  Now they don't have enough priests so that practice has fallen to the wayside.

I'd ask, couldn't hurt
  • edited December 2011
    Technically, a priest who is not your parish priest can perform you marriage ceremony/mass. I would relax and see how things shake out in June, but if you have developed a relationship with this other priest, I don't think there is any harm in asking.

I would also relax about the paperwork going to the diocese. I know that you feel like 4 months is right around the corner, but really, you've got some time. The church and priest have 85 million other things going on right now including, if the transfer does take place, preparing for the turnover. Stay on top of things, but know that, time-wise, you really are ok.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if your priest is transferred, he can still officiate your wedding.  If you have a made a connection with the one person, ask him if he'd be willing to come back to the church to preside over your ceremony in the case that he is transferred.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards