Catholic Weddings
Options

Do we include parent's name on invitations?

I am 30 and my FI is 39. He lives in another country but we will be having a Catholic wedding here in Michigan. His parents are divorced and can't attend. And my mom is a widow-dad died 2 yrs ago. I see alot of invitations that say the parent's name request your presence at the marriage. Do we include their names? What is standard? I just thought you did that if you were a young couple...but I didn't know. I want to be respectful however.

Re: Do we include parent's name on invitations?

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we did not include our parents names on our invites.  we were an older couple (31 and 34) and had been out on our own for some time.  we also hosted and paid for 100% of our own wedding.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We did, "Together with their parents, Bride XXX and Groom XXX request the honor of your presence" etc. etc. etc. We just did it to be simpler and to save space (because we listed our reception site and address on the same card), and we ran it by the parents beforehand.

We are paying for the majority of our wedding. My parents have graciously given us some monetary help, and FFIL (widowed) is emotionally supportive but is not in a position to give us any money. No matter what the situation, though, I would not use a wedding invitation to send a message of who is paying and who is not. I see a lot of, "Mr. and Mrs. Brides Parents request ..." on wedding invites, but I don't automatically assume that they are paying for it. I usually just figure that they're being traditional.

I would talk to the parents and see how they feel. If they would be offended not to be named, it's not worth excluding them. A compromise could be:

Bride Anne Smith
    daughter of Mrs. Denise Smith (and the late Mr. Brian Smith, if you want)
    and
    Groom Andrew Jones
    son of Ms. Nancy McDonald and Mr. Peter Jones
    request the honor of your presence
    xxx

or

With the love and support of their families
    Bride Anne Smith
    and
    Groom Andrew Jones
    request ...

or

Mrs. Denise Smith
    Ms. Nancy McDonald
    Mr. Peter Jones

request the honor of your presence
    at the marriage of their children
    Bride Anne Smith
    and
    Groom Andrew Jones
    date, time, place
  • Options
    PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're both over 30 and are hosting are own wedding.  We didn't include our parent's names.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YOu only include the parent's names if the parents are paying for the wedding. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really like the "Bride Anne Smith
    daughter of Mrs. Denise Smith (and the late Mr. Brian Smith, if you want)
    and
    Groom Andrew Jones
    son of Ms. Nancy McDonald and Mr. Peter Jones
    request the honor of your presence"
    That's mentioning of parents but not as if they were hosting the wedding.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    shan, many do that now.

traditionally, you never put the grooms' parents names on the invite.  ever.  that was always reserved for announcements only.  but, that dates back to wehn brides parents always paid for the wedding, too, and that has changed now as well.

as someone else said i think its not as much who's paying as who is hosting.  we did the inviting - the invites came from us, RSVP's were returned to us, it just didnt seem to make sense to have my mom or H's parents on there since they didnt really do anything (not because they didnt offer, we just didnt feel it appropriate).
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think nowadays, anything goes. We paid for most of the wedding ourselves, with my parents helping a little bit. We decided to put "Together with Their Families" at the top. I think it's unnecessary to name them unless you feel like it will cause a problem. If it will make them happy - just do it to avoid hurting feelings. These days, I never assume that a parent's name appearing on an invite means they are paying for it. It's just not that common anymore.
  • Options
    skyblondeskyblonde member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My FI is 35 and I'm 26 and we're paying for our own wedding.  It's also my FI's second wedding.  We're writing "together with their parents Mr. and Mrs. Etc." because it looked better on the invitations, but we considered "together with their families/parents".  We both feel really strongly though that this marriage isn't just about us, it's about joining two families-especially since FI has three little kids.

• Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FH and I are paying for our own wedding and did not include our parent's names on the invitations.  We did however use "Together with their families" before our names.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards