Catholic Weddings
Options

Our priest is being transferred...

Hi Ladies

My Fi and I are getting married July 30, 2011 in a church just outside of Philadelphia. We fell in love with the parish about a year ago, and decided this is where we want to get married. The pastor is fabulous - he has been such a big help with the wedding preparations and with any questions we have. He's very approachable and his homilies are very relatable.

Yesterday he announced he is being transferred, effective Jan. 10. We're a little more than 6 months away at this point.

He is a fabulous priest and although I'm sure our new priest will do a great job, I'm sad to see Fr. Murphy go because he made me WANT to go to church, and I know he would do an excellent job with our ceremony.

My mom told me we can still request for him to perform the ceremony, especially if he's still in the diocese. She also mentioned the priest who confirmed me might be able to perform the ceremony as well.

Has anyone had another priest from a different parish perform your wedding ceremony? Was the process difficult? Is it mostly up to the pastor or does the diocese have to get involved?

Thanks!!

"When you meet the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." -When Harry Met Sally, 1989 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Our priest is being transferred...

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We used a priest from one parish and were married in another parish and we weren't parishoners of either parish - so, yes it can be done!

I would make sure your original priest would be able to perform your ceremony, then I would ask the pastor of the parish where you will be married if you may use the original priest. We didn't need to do anything more than that. The priests worked the rest out. You should be fine!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It definitely can be done. Check out catholicweddinghelp.com for more info.

Basically, the priest that will be taking over your church has to give the other priest permission to marry you guys in his church. I don't think it is a difficult process at all.
  • Options
    echo136echo136 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From my experience as long as its within the same diocese as long as the pastor of the parish agrees it is fine.  When it goes outside the diocese you have to get permission from the Diocese where the wedding is being held- we have to do this...or my boss and current pastor is doing it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards