Catholic Weddings
Options

Marriage license.

I'm going to get married on may 2011, it's going to be an outside ceremony with the priest. I was wondering when you should get your marriage license? A month before? or is it done after the ceremony with the priest?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Marriage license.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We had to get ours within 60 days before the wedding.  You have a priest that agreed to marry you outdoors?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You need to look this up for the county you are getting married in.  Our license was only good for 30 days.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    lburkey21lburkey21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'll need to get your marriage licnese before the wedding. Check out the requirements for the county you'll be married in - each one is different.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    it varies state by state, county by county.  here in MA, we had 60 days, and we could get hte license in any city or town and use it in any city or town.  you have to check with your town/city/county clerk's office.

your priest is really allowing you to marry outside???
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_marriage-license?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:58cb495b-e180-4a32-bdf5-15d6ee4eb28dPost:1efb9bd3-3b4d-40a4-ad51-e4086be444dd">Re: Marriage license.</a>:
    [QUOTE]it varies state by state, county by county.  here in MA, we had 60 days, and we could get hte license in any city or town and use it in any city or town.  you have to check with your town/city/county clerk's office. <strong>your priest is really allowing you to marry outside???</strong>
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]
    That was my question.  I was starting to think I was the only one who found that strange.  I was told you could never have a catholic ceremony outside.  OP, have you asked your priest about this?
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How did you get your priest to marry you outside???

Do not wait till after.  They require you to bring it with to the ceremony.  Go between four weeks before and one week before to get it.  Bring it with you to the ceremony. After the ceremony, the priest signs the documents with you to make it legal.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_marriage-license?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:58cb495b-e180-4a32-bdf5-15d6ee4eb28dPost:1ac9c727-7472-4ce9-8116-a1ccbeeada4e">Re: Marriage license.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marriage license. : That was my question.  I was starting to think I was the only one who found that strange.  I was told you could never have a catholic ceremony outside.  OP, have you asked your priest about this?
    Posted by ndnikki06[/QUOTE]

Honestly, my mother is the one making the arrangements with the church. We haven't gotten a definite "no" but we're hopeful because it will be on church grounds still but outside. They have a really nice small garden.

Thanks everyone for the advice! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    well, i wouldnt get your hopes up (and i dont mean that to be snarky).  its pretty rare that catholic weddings are performed outside.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was offered an outdoor wedding at my church.  It has large grounds that include an outdoor amphitheater area.  There wasn't enough seating and I always wanted a proper church wedding, so we're not exercising that option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Colorado your License is only good for 30 days from the day (including that day) you get your License..

I agree with PPs to check with your county and city to see what they require!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards