Catholic Weddings
Options

Invitation wording

Hey Ladies,  I know I posted my invitation before and had some errors.  So I took your advice and some advice from online information and redid my wording.  Could you please look at it and tell me if anything else should be changed.

Mr. and Mrs. Chris Middle Last

and

Doctor and Mrs. James Middle Last

request the honour of your presence

at the marriage of their children

Ashley Middle Last

and

Matthew Middle Last

in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony and

the celebration of the Nuptial Mass

Saturday, the Thirteenth of October

Two thousand twelve

two o'clock in the afternoon

Church

Address

City, Pennsylvania

Wedding Countdown Ticker
262 Invited image
164 Yes image
38 No image
60 Are making me drink way too much wine!!! image

Re: Invitation wording

• Options
    Are you looking for actual errors? Or just wording choices? I personally REALLY don't like 

in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony and

the celebration of the Nuptial Mass

I'm not even sure it makes sense. I may have already said this before if you already asked us here, but my preferred wording (that gets all the info across and isn't too "wordy,") is 

...request the honor of your presence at the Nuptial Mass in which their children ____ will be united in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Haha, you basically just pointed out exactly what someone suggested she change in her previous thread.  ;)
    Anniversary

• Options

So what I am taking from this is that either way is fine.  Haha  Sorry to be so confusing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    262 Invited image
    164 Yes image
    38 No image
  • Options
    I'm glad I read this - it honeslty hadn't occured to me to use "nuptial Mass" or "Joined in Holy Matrimony" because I'm using one of those online places that give you phrases to use.

How does it sound if you do "Mr. and Mrs......invite you to the nuptial Mass of their daughter....and.....son of .....who will be united in Holy Matrimony on Saturday December 29"? Is that confusing? I didn't want to say "both parents are inviting to the marriage of their children" because my parents are paying for everything and my mom really wants it more traditional.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    how about "in the celebration of the Sacrament of Marriage" it makes it less wordy and still makes sense within the context of the invitation.

Also, unless you are using the European spelling, it's honor, not honour.

Mr. and Mrs. Christopher (Middle) Last,

and

Doctor and Mrs. James (Middle) Last,

request the honour of your presence

at the marriage (of their children)

Ashley Middle Last

and

Matthew Middle Last,

-as they celebrate the Sacrament of Marriage-

(in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony and

the celebration of the Nuptial Mass)

Saturday, the Thirteenth of October

Two thousand twelve

two o'clock in the afternoon,

Church

Address

City, Pennsylvania

Sorry, it was easier to C&P and then edit. The () mean you can omit that if you want, and the - - means you can change it to, if you want. I also added in commas because, well, they are supposed to be anywhere you would naturally have a pause in the reading. If you read it aloud, you can hear where they are supposed to go.
  • Options
    AG2AF=2012AG2AF=2012 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invitation-wording-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:596e8413-af77-4afe-ba79-8c03d2795a24Post:888cbc42-827e-463c-8577-c26b6ec6f595">Re: Invitation wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]how about "in the celebration of the Sacrament of Marriage" it makes it less wordy and still makes sense within the context of the invitation. Also, unless you are using the European spelling, it's honor, not honour.<strong> Mr. and Mrs. Chris topher ( Middle ) Last</strong> , Sorry, it was easier to C&P and then edit. The () mean you can omit that if you want, and the - - means you can change it to, if you want. I also added in commas because, well, they are supposed to be anywhere you would naturally have a pause in the reading. If you read it aloud, you can hear where they are supposed to go.
    Posted by futuremrsbruno[/QUOTE]

My Father's name is just Chris....NOT Christopher.  Also, since I am using my middle name along with FL then to be formal and proper you are to use the middle names of the host.  I am using honour since it is a church service with is proper as well.

The wording of the invitation was changed around thanks to the wonderful ladies of the Catholics board a while back when I asked them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    262 Invited image
    164 Yes image
    38 No image
  • Options
    Sorry, you did ask.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I do prefer "honor,"as well, but that is really a matter of personal preference. We used middle names, as full names made the overall feel of the invitations more formal plus my dad's first and last names rhyme and I wanted to break it up. Also, I feel like your use of commas is a little...much, but you seem to be some kind of English teacher, so I suppose I would defer to you in this case. The comma after her parents' name seems unnecessary.
    Anniversary

• Options
    The comma use is definitely the English teacher in me. I invited a few of the teachers I work with and they were overjoyed at the sight of the commas. Although we then got into a good natured debate over the parallelism. I don't think we ever settled that one!
  • Options
    I would take out "in the afternoon."  It would be much more clean and sleek, and it's obviously it's not at 2 AM.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards