Catholic Weddings

dilemma ( sorry very long)

So we are finally done with our marriage classes, and last night was supposed to be our last meeting with our Priest to go over the details.  When we got engaged we explained to him that my fiance's cousin is a Priest, but that he lives out of town and wouldn't be able to do marriage prep with us, and he said that is fine, since we are marrying at his church he would do marriage prep and both priests would have a part in the ceremony, but that it was fine if my fiance's cousin did the gospel and homily.  We have reminded him of this a couple times throughout the classes, but last night when we were going over the ceremony he was talking about the ceremony like he was the only Priest taking part.  My fiance reminded with that his cousin would be doing the mass.  Our priest did not remember that we had told him (even thought we told him a couple times) and looked very hurt.  He explained that he has spent a lot of time with us, and that he feels he should read the gospel and speak the homily. He did say its up to us though. We do not know what to do because the priest at our parish actually does know me, and our relationship better than his cousin, but it's tradition for his cousin to perform family ceremonies.  My fiances parents said whatever we choose is fine, that they wont care either way, but we dont know what to do.  We are not having the eucharist so there's not really any jobs we could have each priest do.  Would it be acceptable to not have the eucharist (for reasons having to do with my family) but maybe share communion with just me and my fiance after the ceremony and have his cousin do that?  I need advice any ideas to involve both priest would be great.  Also I just became Catholic so this might be a really stupid question but is there a way that they can both speak during the homily?  Sorry this is so long!

Re: dilemma ( sorry very long)

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The thing is you are mentioning several jobs here, and there are rubrics governing the lay out of the liturgy (even if just the liturgy of the word).

First, perhaps there was a misunderstanding... there is the marriage rite, and then there is the other liturgical roles. Maybe he thought the cousin priest was actually going to witness the marriage and he was doing the gospel and homily, which is acceptable.

2nd, Since you are both catholic, reconsider having a mass. It is not wise to omit sacraments, especially the Eucharist which is the unity of the marrage and brings infinite grace. When there are 2 priests at a mass, there is one main celebrant, and a concelebrant. The concelebrant reads the gospel at the least, and if desired, does the homily and marriage rite.

3rd, you cannot just "share communion" outside of a liturgy in any kind of ceremonial way (the only way is communion for the sick). To exclude others from that opportunity to receive infinite grace doesn't work. If you want to attend mass on your wedding day, but not have it part of your wedding, you can go to mass that morning together.
  • kmg977kmg977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I honestly don't have a choice about the eucharist. My mom is very honest that she will be beyond hurt if we have it.  She is paying for the wedding, but I can't hurt her feelings that badly.  She starting crying when I even made the suggestion that we were thinking about it.  So we have to omit the sacrament to respect my family who is Lutheran, I wish I wasn't in the that situation, but it is what it is.
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should have the parish priest do the reading and the homily and then have the cousin priest do the actual rite of marriage.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you're dealing with a Momzilla! Why doesn't your mother understand that she could be hurting you and your FI's feelings by forcing you NOT to receive the sacrament? Your mother is being childish, immature and disrespectful. This is not her marriage ceremony, she should not be making any of these decisions. You do have a choice. You are choosing to let your mother monopolize a very important part of your wedding day. I still don't understand why this really matters to her...you are getting married in a Catholic church. What would she do if communion were mandatory?

That being said, you should speak to your priest, or your FI's cousin about this situation and ask how the two priests could share responsibilities. Let them come up with the proper ways to break up the ceremony. Who knows, they may just say "Ya know, it's totally fine if you just have the other priest do the whole thing". If I were in your shoes, I would go with the priest that knows you best. Good Luck!

edited December 2011
    I agree with Riss. You do have a choice. The "paying for the wedding" does not include buying sacraments. This is a big deal by omitting the Eucharist and the graces coming with it.
  • kmg977kmg977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She is being very childish, but it's still my mom, and I still love and respect her.  So its not exactly as easy to hurt her feelings as some might think for me, but I understand what all of you are saying.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    I know it's difficult to stand up to someone you love, knowing they will "be hurt". But, she really has no reason to be hurt, so I see it as not giving in to a childish tantrum. It appears that she really is upset that you are having a Catholic ceremony in the first place and she is just using communion as a means of getting her way. I really think it's completely unfair of her to ask (demand) that of you. Also, if you give into this type of behavior now - you may be sending her a signal that your faith is somewhat negotiable, which could lead to more problems in the future. Again, I am really sorry you are in that position! I hope you are able to have the ceremony you want!
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the others. The cousin should do the rite of marriage and the parish priest should do the homily and gospel.  
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_dilemma-sorry-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:5ad610db-fb7e-4194-8cfc-58d9d8357a38Post:b5d3dfb7-cfcd-45e1-8f16-b7f97eee3c1c">Re: dilemma ( sorry very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know it's difficult to stand up to someone you love, knowing they will "be hurt". But, she really has no reason to be hurt, so I see it as not giving in to a childish tantrum. It appears that she really is upset that you are having a Catholic ceremony in the first place and she is just using communion as a means of getting her way. I really think it's completely unfair of her to ask (demand) that of you. Also, if you give into this type of behavior now - you may be sending her a signal that your faith is somewhat negotiable, which could lead to more problems in the future. Again, I am really sorry you are in that position! I hope you are able to have the ceremony you want!
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

Agreed
    ... and in addition..

We have to remember what the loving thing to do is for all involved, even for mom...who by witnessing the consecration and the EUcharist, will experiece spiritual graces from that alone, whether she believes it or not. (Yes, we all receive graces from going to mass even if we don't receive the Eucharist). Now I realize that the more loving thing to do in certain cases could be to omit the mass also...but the mass can be evangelistic, especially if the priest explains it throughout.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_dilemma-sorry-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:5ad610db-fb7e-4194-8cfc-58d9d8357a38Post:7049a948-2408-41d0-8cd6-69e0ad2d0a1f">Re: dilemma ( sorry very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the others. The cousin should do the rite of marriage and the parish priest should do the homily and gospel.  
    Posted by Theresa626[/QUOTE]

I agree too.  That's how I've seen it in the past, and it's how we plan on doing it too (my FI's uncle is a bishop).
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_dilemma-sorry-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:5ad610db-fb7e-4194-8cfc-58d9d8357a38Post:df11527d-7ca9-4866-b013-69359ed4de8a">Re: dilemma ( sorry very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should have the parish priest do the reading and the homily and then have the cousin priest do the actual rite of marriage.
    Posted by mswood1977[/QUOTE]

i also think this is a good idea.

We had the priest say the mass and the uncle of the bride, a deacon, do the rite of marriage.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_dilemma-sorry-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:5ad610db-fb7e-4194-8cfc-58d9d8357a38Post:8cc80fbd-f28f-4bed-b6a6-ed51eaa158d2">Re: dilemma ( sorry very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry you're dealing with a Momzilla! Why doesn't your mother understand that she could be hurting you and your FI's feelings by forcing you NOT to receive the sacrament? Your mother is being childish, immature and disrespectful. This is not her marriage ceremony, she should not be making any of these decisions. You do have a choice. You are choosing to let your mother monopolize a very important part of your wedding day. I still don't understand why this really matters to her...you are getting married in a Catholic church. What would she do if communion were mandatory? That being said, you should speak to your priest, or your FI's cousin about this situation and ask how the two priests could share responsibilities. Let them come up with the proper ways to break up the ceremony. Who knows, they may just say "Ya know, it's totally fine if you just have the other priest do the whole thing". If I were in your shoes, I would go with the priest that knows you best. Good Luck!
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  I'm a convert (converted in college, long before meeting my DH), and none of my family is Catholic.  My DH's immediate family is Catholic, many of his extended family is not Catholic or no longer practicing, and most of our friends are not Catholic.  But we had a full nuptial Mass with communion, because it was important to the two of us.  We had to have many conversations with my super-Protestant family about why we were choosing to have the Eucharist when the majority of our wedding guests could not receive.  Initially, my parents' feelings were very hurt.  After many conversations, they eventually agreed to respect our decision.  (And at our wedding Mass, the priest invited non-Catholics forward for a blessing if they wanted, so my parents were able to receive a blessing -- and they told me they really liked that.)

As a convert, I do understand family tensions.  But those family tensions are not going to go away, and your wedding day is the first opportunity for you and your new husband to demonstrate what is important to you.  If the Eucharist is important to you and your fiance, then I'd encourage you to have a full Mass.  (Edited to add:  What are you going to do when she objects to your children being baptized Catholic?)

Anyway.  Sorry for that long post.  As for the issues of who "does" what, I'd talk to both priests.  It will probably be possible for one priest to witness the marriage rite (i.e. the vows), and the other one do the Gospel and homily.  Talk to both of them and see what you can work out.  [:)]
  • edited December 2011
    Voting for the local priest to read the gospel and give the homily and ask the cousin to perform the rite.

Nice how everyone's respecting your decision on how to deal with a family of different faith traditions.  Clearly familial harmony and an effort to honor one's parents is no reason to choose to participate in a Catholic marriage ceremony that isn't a full mass.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_dilemma-sorry-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:5ad610db-fb7e-4194-8cfc-58d9d8357a38Post:42622e12-8bfc-4c60-b117-9b7fe804de1a">Re: dilemma ( sorry very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Voting for the local priest to read the gospel and give the homily and ask the cousin to perform the rite. Nice how everyone's respecting your decision on how to deal with a family of different faith traditions.  Clearly familial harmony and an effort to honor one's parents is no reason to choose to participate in a Catholic marriage ceremony that isn't a full mass.
    Posted by Gin93081[/QUOTE]

You don't have to be snarky when disagreeing with others' responses.  Many of us on this board, myself included, have faced this very situation and had to choose whether to have a full Mass or not.  (My family is fundamentalist Protestant -- talk about some anti-Catholic sentiment there... )  As such, several of us were encouraging the OP to reconsider having a full Mass.  The choice is ultimately hers.  But perhaps hearing the experiences of others who had similar family situations could be helpful in the decision-making.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    She is being very childish, but it's still my mom, and I still love and respect her. 

IMO, she is not showing you the same level of respect that you are trying to show her.

what will happen when you want to baptize your children catholic?  if she starts crying and carrying on, are you going to deny your child that sacrament?

i can understand that as a convert you are probbaly getting a lot of grief.  however, as a catholic you have a duty to defend your faith and not waver in your support of it.  two catholics should have mass adn communion for their wedding.  i cant see how your mom can be hurt by this.  she is welcome to go up for a blessing, as are all of your non-catholic guests.  she shoudl be happy that you are getting married.  it is disrespectful of her to try to ruin this for you.  i would really try to address this with her now, as i can guaratnee you it wont bode well for the future with your children if you dont.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Tread softly here and remember that
    "Honor thy father and thy mother" existed long before the Catholic Church.  It' is one of the commandment that existed long before church law.

This isn't a power play by you or by your parents.  Think of it more as a respect for the opinions and thoughts of different people.

You know what to do, don't you?  Give a little, get a lot.  The lot will be part of your future relationship with your mother.
    edited December 2011
    Except that omitting a sacrament and giving up infinite grace is not just "a little". Its actually COULD BE (and i stress that...could be, I'm not making a judgement on this particular situation as we can't know the whole situation) it COULD BE choosing Mom over God.

When Christ came to set the world on fire, he said it would cause division. People will be persecuted for following him.

Luke 12:522From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

Sometimes it is wise to omit the mass. That is for each couple to decide with the guidence of the priest. I'm not saying the OP should do one or the other, however, it must be considered a bigger deal than just to keep mom happy. Since she says she is a convert, there's nothing wrong with some feedback in encouraging the importance of sacraments.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes it is wise to omit the mass. That is for each couple to decide with the guidence of the priest. I'm not saying the OP should do one or the other, however, it must be considered a bigger deal than just to keep mom happy. Since she says she is a convert, there's nothing wrong with some feedback in encouraging the importance of sacraments.

i agree, and particularly for the reasons i stated above when future children come into the picture.  giving into mom's happiness now may (or may not) open the floodgates later.  i have seen folks who are not even remotely religious pull complete nutties when they dont like the faith that a grandchild is being baptized in(or in some cases if the child is not baptized at all).

your spouse is your #1 familial relationship.  i feel OP needs to do waht is best for her and her spouse.  often times we have to do what's best for our spouses at the detriment of making our parents or other family members unhappy.  i'm guessing OP got a ration of crap from her mother when she told them she was converting.  if that is the case, i commend her strength with following through and doing waht she felt was best for her and her future spouse and children.  it is my hope that she will reflect on that, as well as what she's learned through her conversion process, to come to the best decision for her and her spouse with regard to their wedding and their sacrament.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    agape + Calypso - I totally agree!

In this case I truly do not feel that by choosing the Eucharist you are dishonoring your mother. Yes, you need to honor your mother and father, but that doesn't mean to do everything they ask of you. Especially when what they ask of you defies your beliefs and the church. If your mother asked you to worship the devil, would you need to honor that too?

Also, I do think there are instances where omitting the Eucharist makes sense for a couple. But I do not think it should be due to anyone elses' opinions/feelings. It should be based on the couple only, without consideration for other family, friends, etc. We hear these stories about parents forcing their children to have certain ceremonies all the time. Couples only getting married in the church because  "grandma will disown them". That's not fair to the couple, or to the church.
  • kmg977kmg977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with what a lot of you are saying.  It is a very tough decision, and a personal one at that.  I really appreciate hearing encouragement since I am newly Catholic.  It reminds me of how important and sacraments are.  Thanks very much. 
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry, about the snarky-ness.  I think I was feeling a little defensive.  I'm doing ceremony rather than a mass (don't want to exclude my dad or FI's mom).   Wishing you all the best KMG977, hopefully your priest will help you find the best way to include FI's cousin in your ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards