Catholic Weddings
Options

Church Donation?

We are getting married in a church OOT, but doing all of our marriage prep in our home town.  The Deacon mentioned that while normally there is a cost, there is no cost for us since we aren't having our wedding there.  What is appropriate to give? We plan on giving a generous donation to the church... do we do this now or when we complete our marriae prep? and do we do something for the deacon seperately? And if yes do we give him a gift/check, or the church one on his behalf?  Soooo confused on whats appropriate here, please help!!!!!!! TIA!

Re: Church Donation?

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i would definitely give a donation to the church where you did your pre-cana.  what to give can be based on how much time was spent.  our priest did 3 sessions with us, the suggested donation was $100, we gave $200.  our church fee i think was $100 as well.

some have said if you give the priest money, he will turn it over to the church, but gift cards he will keep. no clue if this is true or not.  you could also offer to supply the altar flowers for the weekends masses.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely a donation to the church where you are doing your pre-cana. We were in a similar situation. We moved out of state, did most of the pre-cana where we currently live but got married in our home state. We are also members at the church where we did our pre-cana, so we just gave a little bigger than usual church donation.

I am not sure about the money vs gift cards thing, but it makes sense to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards