Catholic Weddings
Options

Resolution Success - Check-in!

Okay, here's the thread for those who want some company in losing weight/getting fit, and improving our relationship with God. Check in daily, weekly, whatever works for you. I'm going to post here daily about my next day's goals and then how I did.

My first goal is "an hour a day for God." May need some help with this one - I listen pretty much every day to the daily Mass on EWTN, on my way to work, and often I add a Rosary on my way home from work, but does that count? I'd like to add a daily Mass or two, and some Bible reading...any ideas of a guide?

My goal is to start exercising again and eating well, so I can lose 15 pounds by April, then see where I am weightwise to decide whether I want to maintain or lose five or so more.

So...my goals for Sunday, 1/2, are:

1.  Exercise 45 minutes - the Firm Sculpting with Weights
2. Eat healthily (no chocolate or ice cream), and shop healthily for the week
3. Say a Rosary

Linda
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: Resolution Success - Check-in!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am totally with you on this one! I would love to lose about 10 pounds. We eat really healthy and I cook most every night, but still can't seem to lose it. And I need to get H back to the gym with me.

Sunday 1/2

1.)  go to church
    2.)  go to the gym
    3.)  spend some quality time with H
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome idea.
    For 1/2
    1. Go to church
    2. Workout
    Here's where I need a suggestion: What book should I read in the bible first? I want to concentrate on one and finish it. A little bit a day. Might take me a while but I think it's a start.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_resolution-success-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:65a8c51b-0426-4703-a12e-dff812e75168Post:a7236e3b-46f1-4799-88ba-22d68977a317">Re: Resolution Success - Check-in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Awesome idea. For 1/2 1. Go to church 2. Workout Here's where I need a suggestion: What book should I read in the bible first? I want to concentrate on one and finish it. A little bit a day. Might take me a while but I think it's a start.
    Posted by mcdol3[/QUOTE]

My H told me to start with Genesis and then go from there.
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_resolution-success-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:65a8c51b-0426-4703-a12e-dff812e75168Post:a7236e3b-46f1-4799-88ba-22d68977a317">Re: Resolution Success - Check-in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Awesome idea. For 1/2 1. Go to church 2. Workout Here's where I need a suggestion: What book should I read in the bible first? I want to concentrate on one and finish it. A little bit a day. Might take me a while but I think it's a start.
    Posted by mcdol3[/QUOTE]
    Tobit is a shorter book and very much a story, so it might be a good starter, just to get you in to reading the Bible. FI and I read a chapter from it occasionally, it has some great marriage-related passages. I would say that or choose a Gospel, I'm working my way through Luke right now (er... I'm supposed to be, at least)

I'm definitely trying to get to the gym more this year. This week won't be good for that (that time of the month is coming probably on Monday, and since I just donated blood on Wednesday, I might wait til at least next Saturday), so no plans there. Just healthier eating this week, I've had sooooo many Christmas cookies and candy for like 3 weeks straight lol

I usually get to daily Mass every day (I'm blessed to live 4 blocks from the Catholic student center and also the diocesan cathedral, and between the two of them there are 6 daily Masses to choose from, from 6:45am to 9pm!). I'd like to go to Adoration more often (student center has perpetual Adoration, too!). I think my main goal this year is to make time for at least 15 minutes of just quiet prayer time every day. Not Mass or rosary, just a little Bible reading and some reflection and good heart-to-heart prayer :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Start with the gospels... Luke
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ive been eating very well, but i drank a fair amount of champagne this weekend.  i also didnt go to church this weekend.Embarassed
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's my check in so far today:

1.  Worked out - did The Firm Sculpting w/Weights for 43 minutes.

Off to the grocery for healthy food!

Hi, everyone! We're doing great!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did something kind of silly but hopefully motivating...I've made myself an Excel worksheet, with a row for each exercise and # of minutes. Then I have a totals column to keep a running total of the minutes I've worked out. Then I made myself a "Done" column, and when I do my exercise, I put in a little star.

It just helps me to do something to "commemorate" my working out, LOL...

Any other ideas?? And hey, what's your favorite workout method? Mine is a combination of walking at lunch at work (30 minutes on the treadmill - I vary incline and speed), and The Firm workouts, which are my all time favorites. They are a combination of aerboics and weight training with free weights. I have a ton of them, so I can vary depending on how tired I am and what mood I'm in. I've had to start over with the Basics, since it's been so long since I worked out, but hey, it's a start.

Linda
  • Options
    k8lyk8ly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good afternoon, all!

Goals for 1/2:
    1.  Rosary before bed
    2.  Healthier food choices when go to dinner before the hockey game
    3. Headstart on some homework - procrastination = :(

I still have tomorrow off, so can add exercise tomorrow. 

I do best when I track my workout and eating on Calorie Count:  http://caloriecount.about.com/ It's free, and keeps track of goals, has recepies, logs, can look up nutritional value of foods.
    I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. ~Dory
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_resolution-success-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:65a8c51b-0426-4703-a12e-dff812e75168Post:6b38bd07-fb1f-497d-aa9f-4089a08d324d">Re: Resolution Success - Check-in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]ive been eating very well, but i drank a fair amount of champagne this weekend.  i also didnt go to church this weekend.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]
    There's still time! Find a Sunday night mass.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did a Rosary on my way to the grocery (Glorious mysteries...my second favorite after Luminous), and got all kinds of healthy things. Now will try to do my 15 minutes of walking, then I think I'll read some Luke tonight.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I didn't go to the gym today, but definitely am going tomorrow. H and I just got home from church. Now we are figuring out what to do with the rest of the evening. So I guess I accomplished 2 out of the 3 for today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great job everyone! I did 20 minutes walking, and just finished dinner...lean cuisine pizza and some rice cakes, and sugar free pudding. Shopped healthily, too...NO ice cream or chocolate (other than some light chocolate soy milk, which I'll take a swig from now and then).

It was funny - as I was checking out of the grocery store, the guy behind me laughed and said that except for my diet Mountain Dew, everything I had was good for you!

I'm probably going to fall down on my Bible reading, since my FI showed up tonight (I wasn't sure if he was coming back tonight or tomorrow). I can always read tomorrow while I'm on the treadmill.

Yay for us!

Linda
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Today-- Mass, about a 1.5 mile walk with FMIL and 2 FSILs, family Rosary with FIs family :) A very nice day.

Tomorrow--
    9 hour work day, so definitely no gym.
    8pm holy hour, probably 9pm Mass.
    Major apartment cleaning (hopefully).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How's everyone doing tonight?

Here's my check in for today - only once since I had to work today, lol:

I didn't get to walk at lunch; I had a meeting during my usual lunch time, then got pulled into another one, so I did my Firm Fat Burning tape for 44 minutes.

I did very well with my eating, ate my "scheduled" meals (one advantage to being busy).

I am very, very, very anxious right now - I am interviewing for a promotion tomorrow that I really, really want. The interview is at 1, so I think I will definitely walk during my lunch hour to get my stress down a little.

Oh - I listened to EWTN daily mass on my way into work (great homily about Jesus being born to die for our sins, whereas we are born to live and thus should try to live for him - I've simplified it mightily but that's one of the gists), then said a Rosary on my way home.

Tomorrow I'm planning:
    1. Go to daily mass - if I'm asking God for this job, I want to do my bit, plus it always is a great way to start the day. The church is about 4 minutes from my work but about 30 minutes from my home, so I have to get up early to go.
    2. Walk 30 minutes at lunchtime
    3. Give a terrific interview (hope, hope, hope)
    4. Say a Rosary on the way home (Sorrowful mysteries are hardest for me)
    5. Walk 30 minutes when I get home

Linda

Hope everyone else is doing okay, too!

• Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Linda-sounds like a great plan for tomorrow, I hope your interview goes well!

Today--Getting back to work was rough. Yuck. Got some cleaning done in the two hours I was at home, Holy Hour, and Mass. Then some nice quality time with FI (he went to the Holy Hour and Mass with me too :)) Overall, a good day. I was kind of bad about eating leftover sweets that everyone brought into work to get rid of, though...

Tomorrow--don't know. I had a TON of plans since on Tuesdays I get off work at 2:40, but turns out we might be going out to F-ILs house for the evening which means I'll get absolutely nothing done :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is Holy Hour something you do at home, or do you go to church for it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Holy Hour typically means going to Eucharistic adoration, usually when the blessed sacrament is exposed in the monstrance. If there is no adoration nearby, going to a church that is open with a tabernacle to be in the presence of the blessed sacrament is good too.

When one can't do either, you can find time for quiet prayer time anywhere. (or in the car in the church parking lot if its locked up).

Today, I got to go to adoration for about 45 min, and got to the gym. I wanted to share this blog because it was really inspiring to me. I know Jackie from TOB institute, Steubenville conferences, and Lifeteen music conference.

http://www.jackiefrancois.com/blog/what-a-difference-a-year-makes/
  • Options
    k8lyk8ly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_resolution-success-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:65a8c51b-0426-4703-a12e-dff812e75168Post:8711f348-785a-4bb3-a47b-416c3354b218">Re: Resolution Success - Check-in!</a>:

<font color="#800080">oh - here it is.  I was looking for a new thread for the new day.

Can we do that instead?  Otherwise, this one's going to go farther and farther down the list, and eventually off the page.

We can update how we did for the goals in the old thread, and then post our new goals in the new thread?

I'm gonna lose track otherwise.  Does that make sense?  (Just thought I'd throw it out there.)</font>

[QUOTE]Good afternoon, all! Goals for 1/2: 1.  Rosary before bed  - <font color="#800080">Did this last night! :)

</font>2.  Healthier food choices when go to dinner before the hockey game  - <font color="#800080"><font color="#800080">fish, and salad instead of fries

</font>3</font>. Headstart on some homework - procrastination = :(  <font color="#800080">started - LOTS to do

</font>I still have tomorrow off, so can add exercise tomorrow.  <font color="#800080">No exercise yet.  Did get the Christmas decorations down though, and made meals at home rather than ate out.  Will try at lunch or after work.  Need to get back into getting up on time - add in exercise.

</font>I do best when I track my workout and eating on Calorie Count:  <a href="http://caloriecount.about.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://caloriecount.about.com/</a> It's free, and keeps track of goals, has recepies, logs, can look up nutritional value of foods.
    Posted by k8ly[/QUOTE]
    I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. ~Dory
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good idea - everyone see new thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards