Catholic Weddings
Options

NFP- totally grossed out

Warning: graphicness ahead.

NFP is freaking me the heck out. We're doing the at home CCL course. They want me to take daily temperatures (love the note on the thermometer btw that said its now plastic for "increased safety". hope the glass they were using before didn't go too badly for anyone), do the mucus judging, and poke around up there to see if the cervix is open. I don't even wear tampons cause just putting them in freaks me out nevermind all this stuff! Not to mention they spent all my life in catholic school telling us NOT to put our fingers up there and now we're supposed to do it every day?!  I'm squirming just thinking about it.

Are there less... invasive... methods?

Re: NFP- totally grossed out

• Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Checking your cervix is usually optional in the sympto-thermal methods.  I rarely checked my cervix, and the instructor I had for my CCL class told us she never did until she became an instructor.

Temperatures shouldn't be a big deal.  I mean, you just stick a thermometer in your mouth and record what it says when it beeps.  That's pretty non-invasive.

As for the mucus judging, you should be able to achieve that when you go to the bathroom.  Wipe, check the toilet paper, and record what you see.  Sometimes if you're having trouble seeing the mucus on toilet paper, you might need to check it internally.  I don't think many people have to check internally.  Sometimes people just don't have a lot of mucus though and have to check that way.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's much better than it sounds in the book! Those pictures with them stringing it between their fingers...
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, they do that to see if it stretches.  But honestly, I just fold the toilet paper in half and open it back up to see if it stretches.  Seems to work for me.

Like I said, some people do not have enough mucus so they HAVE to check internally.  And then they'll use their fingers to see if it stretches.  I seriously try to avoid touching it if possible myself.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    OP, I *totally* understand your concerns! I felt really similarly, then a friend pointed out to me, "It's YOUR body!" (I don't know why that was so helpful.) I mean, it's certainly not poop, and it's not even pee! My understanding is that it's pretty much...clean? maybe even sanitary? also, think of it like your nose. I mean, who hasn't stuck their finger up their nose? There's different kinds of snot... clear snot, yellowish (when you're sick) snot, etc. It's pretty similar "down there!"
    Plus...if you're going to be having sex someday, then you'll be having to deal with even more "messiness" down there, so you might as well get used to it sooner rather than later! :-)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Creighton method is external mucous observation only.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't had to do much "reaching" to get an adequate sample (I use the STM too).  Keep hydrated, and you should produce enough fluid not to have to go deep to get some.  Also, that fluid, unless you have a vaginal infection, is clean, it's made by your body.  As lala mentioned, sex involves a lot more fluids, get used to them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You might also check out the Billings Method, which relies on sensation alone.  You do still have do check the TP, but they never recommend internal investigation (in fact I'm pretty sure the whole idea completely grossed my instructor out).  You just have to be comfortable with your body -- your fertility is a wonderful thing.
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I never checked my cervix until I went to a course.
    My CM was unreliable from coming off the pill so I found checking my cervix much more reliable. I'm still struggling with it, and yet it's gross but I figure it's really accurate.
    I also use a Diva cup rather than pads and tampons so I'm a little more used to reaching down there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just reading today, that apparently the most recent edition of the CCL materials will not even mention the "internal mucus check." I guess way more research has been done on the external mucus (and what I was reading today was even describing how your mucus can go through a process and change as it comes out?) and none on the internal mucus. 
    (TMI alert) My mom said the internal check worked for her, cuz it was always kind of gummy/dried up by the time it got outside, which is kind of what I'm experiencing, and since I have her genes, I'm going to try the internal check a bit more, and hopefully I'll get used to it! But I'm still pretty new at the whole thing...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OP, I hear you! Today was day one of NFP for me, and it was extremely bizarre and gross for me to study my mucus, let alone hunt for that cervix (didn't find it, by the way). I'm just hoping that after a month or two, I'll get used to it all. Feeling pretty hopeless at the moment.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Louisa -- bear down a bit when you are looking for your cervix, and it'll move closer to the vaginal opening so you can find it more easily.  It's easier to do this when sitting or squatting rather than lying down.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We do CCL STM and I've never had to do an internal check.

I felt very uncomfortable about it all at first too...then I got married and started having sex. You'll get used to it! Wait until you are pregnant!
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    MopsieBMopsieB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sounds awful!!! Glad my pastor let me out of the whole NFP process. As for less invasive methods: Try regular birth control, like condoms! Works for me!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-totally-grossed-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:675ec2ac-7c21-4b33-92a9-2597c96390b2Post:f389d6bb-6694-4411-8b2f-a0273d861111">Re: NFP- totally grossed out</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds awful!!! Glad my pastor let me out of the whole NFP process. As for less invasive methods: Try regular birth control, like condoms! Works for me!
    Posted by MopsieB[/QUOTE]
    "less invasive?" Wow, that's really too bad that your priest let you out of it. It sounds like you could have learned a thing or two...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-totally-grossed-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:675ec2ac-7c21-4b33-92a9-2597c96390b2Post:f389d6bb-6694-4411-8b2f-a0273d861111">Re: NFP- totally grossed out</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds awful!!! Glad my pastor let me out of the whole NFP process. As for less invasive methods: Try regular birth control, like condoms! Works for me!

I would really recommend learning more about Church teaching on contraception, notably the whys behind its ban. There are lots of very well informed ladies here who would be happy to answer questions.

OP, I promise the CM thing really will be fine. I love knowing that the "stuff" that my body has produced for years is normal/natural/something that happens to everyone. I love knowing what my body is doing. I love being proud to be a woman in all its glory (not being ashamed of my cycle, etc.).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-totally-grossed-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:675ec2ac-7c21-4b33-92a9-2597c96390b2Post:f389d6bb-6694-4411-8b2f-a0273d861111">Re: NFP- totally grossed out</a>:

<div>I'm not sure what's "regular" about adding something artificial to sex.</div>
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards