Catholic Weddings

Choosing to wait...

Hi ladies... This isn't really wedding planning related, but it is related to marriage prep.  I was just wanting to touch base and possibly find others who have made the same decision mid-courtship/mid-engagement.  This weekend, FI and I discussed it seriously and at length, and have decided (starting now) to try and wait until we're married to be fully intimate again.  Previous to this, we've been using ABC and not abstaining.  

Has anyone else made this decision mid-courtship/mid-engagement?  I know it will be a challenge (what with the knowing what we're giving up) but I also feel not only that it'll be worth it, but that it's the right choice.

ETA - clarified a bit...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Choosing to wait...

• edited December 2011
    We did not do this mid-courtship, but we have decided to observe a period of abstention before our wedding...

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We waited completely, but now that we're married we've switched to NFP and waiting four months until we've adjusted to the method. It's hard now knowing what we're giving up. :) We should have done this before we got married and it wouldn't be an issue. I just had a difficult time adjusting to ABC and I don't think we anticipated that. 
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I made this decision a little before we got engaged.  It has been hard, and we have slipped up a few times, but we are determined.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    We decided to abstain mid-engagement. During our Engaged Encounter, 10 months before our wedding, we talked about it and decided to abstain from then until the wedding. We lived together and made it to the wedding night without any slip ups (don't get me wrong, there was plenty of temptation and I can see how people can have a few slip ups). I was happy with our decision and, in fact, today is our two year anniversary. :) 

imageimage
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good for you! Make sure you are praying together, especially that God help you remain chaste until the wedding night--you can't do it by yourselves!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we abstained for our entire engagement, which was about 7 months (except for 1 slip-up).

we purchased a house shortly after our engagement.  we couldnt afford to pay the mortgage and pay for one apartment, so we made the decision to live together coupled with the decision to abstain.

it was hard, but we kept separate bedrooms and for the most part it worked.  the slip up we had was when we went away with friends and were alone in a hotel room.  probably our bad for not booking a room with 2 beds. 

it definitley helped us prepare for our sacrament and really focus on other parts of our relationship.  i highly recommend it for anyone.

my only regret was that i didnt use this time to learn and begin my NFP practice.  we started this about 2 months after the wedding, which meant we then had to abstain for 2-3 months until i got the hang of it.
  • KamakananiKamakanani member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're definitely going to pray together for the strength, especially since we still have quite a ways to go until the wedding (April 2013 is what we're looking at right now).  We know the biggest challenge will be any vacations we take between now and then.  

I'm hoping to learn NFP sometime within the last year before the wedding so I know my signs, etc well by the time we start our new life together.

Thanks for all the support.  I knew this would be a great place to reach out.  I know something is very special about our relationship, because this is the first time I've knowingly desired to wait with someone (even though we hadn't previously been "waiting" so to speak).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    About NFP...you can start immediately--- in fact, I recommend all women learn as soon as they can-- for their health. I had a few health issues that made it more difficult to learn--- got the issues treated then I could finally figure things out.

2nd-- remember that it can even be sinful to put ourselves in the occasion of sin. If going on vacation together will be tempting, don't do it...or get separate rooms.

• edited December 2011
    We abstained for about 6 months before our wedding. But my H was my first partner and I knew he was the one.
  • KamakananiKamakanani member
    edited December 2011
    @ agape - I'm definitely hoping to learn NFP sooner rather than later.  I'm hoping after the new year to find a class and get the book.  Up until then, work-related stress would make it a tad overwhelming.  Also, re: vacas, I'm thinking our best bet (as I know there's at least one trip that we'll be making - to see my mom get her PhD) will be separate beds (or, for the trip to see my mom grad - share the hotel room with my grandparents - that'll help keep us chaste! lol)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• caitriona87caitriona87 member
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to offer my support & encouragement; also, don't forget the sacrament of confession which will absolve you and give you the grace to live chastely. God bless you! =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, I happened to come across this thread, and I just want to commend you ladies for being honest and open and non-judgemental about the choices you all have chose to make. I have heard several conversations between Christians of other denominations where you can't even talk about sex before marriage or birth control without it turning into a big nasty debate in which women who use NFP call those who use hormonal birth control immoral. Just based on what little bit I've been lurking, that doesn't seem to be the case here, even though the Catholic faith is very strict on the matter.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats ladies!! We are all strong Catholic women and it shows in our words and actions. I decided to wait when I was 15. FI was not a virgin but has been waiting since we met. We got civilly married in September, due to his immigration, and bought a house. We do live together and sleep in the same bed, but have not had sex. It is tempting and I know we should probably sleep in other beds, but it has worked so far for us. We do have an unconventional situation right now, but we're both happy with it and look forward to consummating our marriage in 5 months!!

Praying for all of you :)
    December '11 Brides September Siggy Challenge- THE SHOES
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]don't forget the sacrament of confession which will absolve you and give you the grace to live chastely. God bless you! =)
    Posted by caitriona87[/QUOTE]

Amen!
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We abstained through our engagement.  If you're thinking about NFP, starting to chart your cycle now while you're abstaining is perfect timing.  Also, it's nice to be able to tell the priest during confession that while you did have pre-marital sex and use ABC, now you've resolved to abstain until you are married. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards