Catholic Weddings
Options

Invitation wording...???

I definitely didn't think this would be a difficult part of planning..... but now I find myself unsure. I was wondering if this sounded okay and appropriate for a ceremony with a full mass. TIA!

Mr. Donald XXXXXrequests the honour of your presence
at the marriage of his daughter
Melissa Kathryn
to Ryan Thomas XXXXXSon of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas XXXXXin the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony

and celebration of the Nuptial Mass
Sunday, the twenty-eighth of May
Two thousand and eleven
at one thirty in the afternoon Church XXXXX
123 Street Name
Columbus, Ohio

Re: Invitation wording...???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was wondering by your SN if you were a Buckeye girl, too. I was born and raised in Columbus and now live in the south, just like you.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think that invite wording looks just fine. Ours was very similar to what you have and we also had full mass.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't capitalize words that aren't proper nouns.  "son of" and "two thousand" should be lower case.

Also, the time should be written "half after one o'clock in the afternoon"
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We somewhat copied a good friend's wedding invitation wording who we consider to be very accurate about all things liturgical :)  They instead used "Holy Mass" instead of "Nuptial Mass." We're doing (see paper in bio)...

[Bride's Parents] &
    [Groom's Parents]
    Request the honor of your presence
    at the Nuptial Mass in which
    [Bride]
    &
    [Groom]
    will be united in the
    Sacrament of Holy Matrimony

[Date]
    [Time]

[Church]
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I much prefer the wording "Bride AND Groom" to indicate that you are BOTh receiving the Sacrament.

Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invitation-wording-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:6d6ea35a-7c24-4f83-ab39-18d7b38296daPost:e1d033d4-433a-4dcc-b531-b22ae9b06c08">Re: Invitation wording...???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I much prefer the wording "Bride AND Groom" to indicate that you are BOTh receiving the Sacrament.
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

That's also the correct way to write it for Catholic weddings.  The bride and groom get married to each other, not just the bride to the groom.
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    the street address shouldn't be on the invite.  Just the Church and town
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we put the street address.... how can folks get directions?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invitation-wording-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:6d6ea35a-7c24-4f83-ab39-18d7b38296daPost:dd857602-4575-41ae-9db7-e1c4aaf7acff">Re: Invitation wording...???</a>:
    [QUOTE]we put the street address.... how can folks get directions?
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

no clue. It's just the correct etiquette.

Map inserts are okay
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone mentioned just about everything. :p
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    huh.
    we figured the street address would be helpful for those with GPS - they could just plug it in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think Crane's or EPost understand GPS ;)
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    I think the tradition of not putting the street address on the invitation comes from days when most guests were local and would know where the St. Andrew's in Duluth was located.  Meh, I think it you're not having a map/directions insert, it's probably fine to have the address on the invitation, as long as you're not a tradition stickler (which I might or might not be :P).
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invitation-wording-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6d6ea35a-7c24-4f83-ab39-18d7b38296daPost:2827df3a-e8ab-4095-8e51-36a8062dae94">Re: Invitation wording...???</a>:
    [QUOTE]huh. we figured the street address would be helpful for those with GPS - they could just plug it in.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I put the street address on mine too. I think most weddings I've been to have had it on the invitations as well, even though it might not be proper "etiquette."

To the OP--ditto to what everyone else said :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ah, mica, my rebel ;)
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invitation-wording-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:6d6ea35a-7c24-4f83-ab39-18d7b38296daPost:dbed8f6e-2fd7-481f-be3d-f9335a094a61">Re: Invitation wording...???</a>:
    [QUOTE]ah, mica, my rebel ;)
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Well, ask me the same question on I&P or E, and you might just get a different answer.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! Using "and" instead of "to" didn't even occur to me, but now that I think about it you're right we are both receiving the sacrament. Thanks! I will also fix the capitalization issues... :-)

Thanks for pointing out the address issue as well. I definitely hadn't given any thought to that. Since I'm sure that everyone that I'm inviting is capable of looking up the address I'll go ahead and delete that too.

@ MissySue - yess I am a born and raised Columbus girl as well! go bucks! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards