Catholic Weddings

Are we only talking weddings these days? I thought prof was trying to change that a bit

so.

What would you all like to talk about?  Something no one has dared pick up on because of possible backlash.

How about your opinions on Vatigate, What the butler was really doing or Cardinal Dolans refusing to speak on "buy outs " to abusive priests in Milwaukee (correct me if I got the city wrong but it's in all the papers)

or

The Vatican is forming a committee of three (obviously male) bishops to go to Rome on the 12th  to deal with the 57,000 wayward female religious (nuns) who want to do more than teach, serve in hospitals or institutions for the poor.

Re: Are we only talking weddings these days? I thought prof was trying to change that a bit

• I found some references to Canon 1350.2, “If a person is truly in need because he has been dismissed from the clerical state, the Ordinary is to provide in the best possible way”.

I heard that the argument for the $20,000 was to speed up the laicization process and give the exiting priest a stipend and health insurance until he could be Medicaid eligible or find new employment.

That being said, child sexual abuse is not something I think should be hushed up, and so I think that Dolan should have reported the priest rather than quietly take care of matters.  The decision he made has severely diminished the opinion of the Catholic Church held by so many Americans.  There are other ways to provide for a departing member of clergy than hiding his sins.

• ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    Even though speeding up the process what did it do to remove this men from the prescnce of young children?

zippo

and that's what should have come first.

My friend Jim Kelly in Mendham may have lived if someone had acted sooner and not just covered up.  He didn't have to die
  • I am grateful & relieved that something is finally being done to deal with the LCWR. I feel sorry for the faithful sisters whose orders have been carried away into New Age practices and all manner of other things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think both of these things are bigger news in the media than in the Catholic world.

Catholics are sick of defending themselves against the sexual abuse situation. Is it bad to harm a child? No question. Were the policies/lack of policies in place to deal with them effective? Clearly not. The whole thing is Monday-morning quarterbacking. Are Catholics the only group that has to deal with child abuse? No way. That's where I get peeved. I read an article about steroid use in baseball this week. The main interviewee (who was a no-name reliever) had been abused by both coaches and teachers. He discussed it openly. I don't see a lynch mob going after either of them or their supervisors.

Many Catholics are also sick of the media's attempt to paint the Church as anti-woman. It seems that the inquiry uncovered some real issues, so now what's left is to deal with them. I have tremendous respect and love for religious sisters who dedicate their lives to helping teach, and serving the sick and the vulnerable. That said, they must still align themselves with Church teaching, and it appears that for some groups, that is not the case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Biblio, I completely agree with everything you just said. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_are-we-only-talking-weddings-these-days-i-thought-prof-was-trying-to-change-that-a-bit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:71a924e9-6136-4f84-b3be-d2dcb22a9e2cPost:b84dd854-f0a3-4715-a0b2-eb726bf60c53">Re: Are we only talking weddings these days? I thought prof was trying to change that a bit</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think both of these things are bigger news in the media than in the Catholic world. Catholics are sick of defending themselves against the sexual abuse situation. Is it bad to harm a child? No question. Were the policies/lack of policies in place to deal with them effective? Clearly not. The whole thing is Monday-morning quarterbacking. Are Catholics the only group that has to deal with child abuse? No way. That's where I get peeved. I read an article about steroid use in baseball this week. The main interviewee (who was a no-name reliever) had been abused by both coaches and teachers. He discussed it openly. I don't see a lynch mob going after either of them or their supervisors. Many Catholics are also sick of the media's attempt to paint the Church as anti-woman. It seems that the inquiry uncovered some real issues, so now what's left is to deal with them. I have tremendous respect and love for religious sisters who dedicate their lives to helping teach, and serving the sick and the vulnerable. That said, they must still align themselves with Church teaching, and it appears that for some groups, that is not the case.
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

This. I feel the same way every time a teacher is caught in an inappropriate relationship with a student. We are starting to be looked at the same way as Catholics are when the majority of us have nothing to do with any of these things and have done nothing wrong. This is what irks me about the media. It can never really be just about the person that did wrong. It has to be associated with whatever group they are a part of. Just because I teach, does not mean I have had, or ever plan on having an inappropriate relationship with my students. Yet, every time there is another story about a teacher... suddenly I get bombarded with questions and comments from people who think I have any clue what that teachers mindset was. Or that I would somehow know their line of thinking because maybe I've had similar thoughts. It's the most messed up thing.

I am a HUGE Penn State fan. When the Sandusky scandal broke last year, it both broke my heart and made me sick. The fact that an entire school was being put under a spotlight and looked down upon for the actions of one man and a few people who didn't do their jobs correctly just killed me inside. It also killed me that they took aim on Joe Paterno, even though he did report what he was told. I get the whole not checking up on the outcome of his report, and all of that, but as a teacher who understands how the hierarchy of this process works, I can't say I would have been checking up on my boss, either. Even if I was JoePa.

Sandusky is still sitting around trying to get his trial pushed back or dismissed while Penn State students, faculty, fans and alumni are still cleaning up from his mess.

I feel like if these things happened in any other religion, we wouldn't read more than a small article in a local paper. It would not be the national news sensation it has become. I realize the downside of being one of the oldest and largest religions in the world is that when bad things happen within the religion, everyone is going to come under fire; but i feel like people are more educated than how they come off when they react to this stuff. Yes, I am Catholic. No, I don't think any of these things are right. No, i don't think my priest is involved or going to be involved. No, I don't think my money goes to support this... and they just keep on coming.
  • My pastor was rather amusing about all this tonight.  He says dealing with it is like family.  Youi defend your family to death, as you should do with your faith.  Your personal opinions don't really matter if you don't voice them publicly.

haha, I think he is well aware of my disagreements with two of these matters.  He has  his own disagreements but they don't interfer with his love of the Church and neither will I.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_are-we-only-talking-weddings-these-days-i-thought-prof-was-trying-to-change-that-a-bit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:71a924e9-6136-4f84-b3be-d2dcb22a9e2cPost:b6181a60-c60f-423e-bada-5bb5bdfb6139">Are we only talking weddings these days? I thought prof was trying to change that a bit</a>:
    [QUOTE]so. What would you all like to talk about?  Something no one has dared pick up on because of possible backlash. How about your opinions on Vatigate, What the butler was really doing or Cardinal Dolans refusing to speak on "buy outs " to abusive priests in Milwaukee (correct me if I got the city wrong but it's in all the papers) or The Vatican is forming a committee of three (obviously male) bishops to go to Rome on the 12th  to deal with the 57,000 wayward female religious (nuns) who want to do more than teach, serve in hospitals or institutions for the poor.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

<div>Haven't followed the mess of Milwaukee for awhile... but isn't the LCWR thing old news by now?  I kid ;-)  I've really liked some of Elizabeth Scalia's commentary on the situation... <a href="http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/tag/lcwr/" rel="nofollow">http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/tag/lcwr/</a> </div>
  • OOT, did you hear about this?  I'm sort of thrilled with the Franciscans right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards