Catholic Weddings
Options

Second Marriage Question

I have a question about getting married for the second time...I have talked to my priest, but unfortunately he doesn't really seem to know what I need to do.  He keeps speaking vaugely about "dealing with your previous marriage" but every time I ask for specifics, he gets flustered and tells me he'll look into it,  I'm worried because I want to set a date, but until I know that I am able to get married, I don't want to do that. 

That being said, here's my question/situation:  I was raised and confirmed Catholic, but when I got married my husband (who is Methodist) refused to go through the RICA classes so we were married in his Methodist church.  We were married almost four years, then divorced.  Now I am engaged to a great guy who is Catholic and we want to be married in our parish church...but I don't know if I need to seek an annullment since I wansn't married in a Catholic church.  I know it can be a lengthy process, and we would like to be married sooner rather than later.  I just don't know if I even need to get an annullment.  I have had some people tell me yes, and others say that since it wasn't a Catholic marriage, I was never married in the eyes of the Church.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I just don't know who else to ask since my priest doesn't seem to have an answer.

Thank you!

Re: Second Marriage Question

• Options
    That's weird that your priest is being flustered... it doesn't sound all that complicated to me. Yes, you DO need an annulment, but it will be the short form, and shouldn't take very long. (I think. Unless there's other details that you didn't mention - has your FI ever been married before, in any ceremony, religious or civil?)

I guess you could always try calling the Office of the Tribunal yourself for whatever diocese you're in; it's quite possible they will just say that you have to have a priest take care of it for you, but they also might explain what your procedure will be, and then you could take that information back to your priest so he doesn't feel so overwhelmed? (still not sure why he is.)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Did you get a dispensation from the Catholic Church to be married in the Methodist Church?

Was your first husband ever baptized Catholic?

I agree with Lala - this should be a "short form" annulment which are typically quicker and easier to obtain. I'm confused as to why your priest would be flustered - maybe he's never had to do this before, or he's expecting you to be upset about it?

Side note: You could have been married in the Catholic Church even if your first husband didn't go through RCIA. Catholics are free to marry non-Catholics. Whomever instructed you otherwise was misinformed!
  • Options
    i agree with others.  sounds like simple lack of form if what you say is true abotu marrying in the methodist church AND if a dispensation was not granted.

i would contact a different priest ASAP.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!  I think the priest just hasn't had to deal with this before, I believe he's only been ordained for a few years.  I will try to contact information.  Just to give a bit more info:  I did not get a dispension, my FI has been married, but has a letter from the Dallas Diocese granting permission to remarry, and I didn't know that I could get married in a Catholic church to a non-Catholic.  Again, thank you everyone for your help.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards