Catholic Weddings
Options

Music Suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions for music for a Catholic wedding ceremony (without Mass)?  I keep finding the same suggestions for instrumentals and a few vocal pieces but was wondering what "real brides" have used.
Thanks.

Re: Music Suggestions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Different music is not required depending upon whether you have Mass or not. We had a full Mass ceremony and this is what we used:

Mother's Entrance - Flower Duet from Lakme
    Attendant's Entrance - Rondeau by Mouret
    Bridal Processional - Canon in D by Pachelbel and Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach

1st Responsorial: Blessed are those who fear the Lord
    Gospel Acclamation: Celtic Alleluia

Recessional: Allegro Maestoso by Handel

I may be missing something here since you are not doing full Mass, but I am sure the other girls will help fill things in or clarify.

• Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My church has a list for us to choose from... and we picked a few that were off-list, but still in the same style of sacred and classical organ and chant pieces.  I think a lot of your selections will depend on what options you have for musical accompaniment and voice!  Also, we weren't permitted to have separate songs for the processing of the bridal party, parents and bride... they all needed to be one song.  Here's ours, minus the songs from the Liturgy of the Eucharist (see my bio for full list):

Prelude:  Bach "Concerto in A Minor" BWV 1043 - 2. Largo ma non troppo on organ
    Processional:  “Trumpet Tune in D” by Johnson (organ piece)
    Opening Hymn:  "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling"
    Gloria:  From Congregational Mass Mode IV Chant by John Lee
    Responsorial Psalm:  Psalm 96 setting by Randolph Currie “Proclaim His Marvelous Deeds to All the Nations”
    Gospel Acclamation:  From Congregational Mass Mode IV Chant by John Lee
    Additional Rite:  "Salve Regina" chant accompanied by organ for Dedication to Mary following Marriage Rite (also, many do the unity candle here)
    Recessional: “Psalm 19” by Marcello  (organ piece) 

If you're interested, here's the page of prelude/processional/recessional options that we were given by our parish:

http://www.cathedralsaintpaul.org/wedding-music
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    check with whoever is doing your music on what *they* are able to do. As an organist, I hate it when people come in and have their heart set on specific pieces, and then I have to point out, "well, that piece is written for a string quartet..."
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with lalaith, that you should attempt to find the music as arranged for the instrumentation you will have...

We had a lot of music within our Latin mass, so this list is a bit extensive. The preludes, processionals, recessional and postludes were played by a string quartet, the rest was sung acapella by a choir, and both did the Ave Verum Corpus

Preludes:
    Mozart: Divertimento for Violin, Viola, and Cello in E-Flat, K.563: III. Menuetto (Allegretto)-
    Mozart: Quartet for Strings in C Major, No. 1, Op. 74: III. Menuetto (Allegretto)
    ...Bach: Cello Suite No 4 In E-Flat Major, BWV 1010: Movement 4: Sarabande

Bridal Party Entrance:
    Mozart: Church Sonata No. 3 in D, K. 69

Bridal Procession:
    Mouret: Suite de Symphonies, "Sinfonies de Fanfares"

Mass:
    Monteverdi: Messa a 4 da Cappella: I. Kyrie, Gloria

Offetory:
    Palestrina: Canticum canticorum (Motets, book 4): Surge propera amica mea

Mass(continued)
    Monteverdi: Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus Dei

Communion Motets:
    Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, K.618
    Nicholas Wilton: O Sacra Convivium

Recessional:
    Handelt: Music for the Royal Fireworks: Suite HWV 351: 4. La Réjouissance

Postlude:
    Mozart: Church Sonata No. 7 in F, K. 224

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone. I am hoping to have one of my bridesmaids sing during the ceremony depending on if that is allowed, etc. Any recommendations for places to find ceremony appropriate vocal wedding songs?  I keep finding the same websites when I do a google/msn/yahoo search.
  • Options
    carmen9311carmen9311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    one my have to have songs was not for tongues of heaven's angels. our music director suggested ubi caritas (sp?) so we'll be doing that as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nickie431Nickie431 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "How Beautiful" by Twila Paris has beautiful vocals.  It's included in the "Spirit and Song" hymnal that's commonly used by parishes that have a youth-oriented Mass.  The lyrics mention a bride and groom.  We're also having our marriage outside the Mass--which has fewer opportunities for music--so this will be one of our preludes.

Other vocal songs I'm considering for our wedding choir:
    "We Are Many Parts" ("Gather" hymnal)
    "Servant Song" ("Gather")
    "Canticle of the Sun" ("Gather")
    "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" ("Worship" hymnal)

Best wishes & many blessings!
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards