Catholic Weddings

Charting Q (TMI)

Is it normal to have spotting start 3 days after ovulation?

My past three charts, I started spotting before my period started, which I think is fairly normal. It's gotten progressively worse in the sense that it starts earlier and earlier in my luteal phase.

Anyone else notice this?
I'm polling the internet audience before I go to my doctor.

Re: Charting Q (TMI)

• catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say that's normal.  Even it was implantation spotting, it'd take like 7-10 after O for that to show up.

I have heard of some women spotting during ovulation (like the day of) but not 3 days after.

If your luteal phase continues to be short, I'd definitely call your doctor.  Mine was only 8-9 days on average.  There are natural remedies you can try to lengthen you LP (after discussing with your doctor, of course), such as B6 vitamins.  Those didn't work for me.

5 or so days is way too short.  They say anything less than 11 is too short.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charting-q-tmi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:8259040f-590d-43dc-842d-c7bf11337373Post:57c9081f-0b5e-4a59-882c-6b6b337196ad">Re: Charting Q (TMI)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't say that's normal.  Even it was implantation spotting, it'd take like 7-10 after O for that to show up. I have heard of some women spotting during ovulation (like the day of) but not 3 days after. If your luteal phase continues to be short, I'd definitely call your doctor.  Mine was only 8-9 days on average.  There are natural remedies you can try to lengthen you LP (after discussing with your doctor, of course), such as B6 vitamins.  Those didn't work for me. 5 or so days is way too short.  They say anything less than 11 is too short.
    Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

I haven't actually started my period yet. The spotting is enough to wear a panty liner to protect my clothing, but nothing more than a nuisance
    Last 6 cycles LP was: 13, 14, 15, not sure if I ovulated, 11, 11 days long
  • edited December 2011
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2e7c00/
    Here's a link to my FF chart. My temp significantly dropped in the past 2 days :S
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sorry if this is too much to ask, but have you recently gone off of any hormonal birth control?  That can definitely make a huge difference for a few months.  If not, I'd give it one more month and see if it happens again, if it does, you may want to talk to your doctor.
  • edited December 2011
    chelsea - I've been off the CP since November 2010. Definitely not taking anything.
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charting-q-tmi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8259040f-590d-43dc-842d-c7bf11337373Post:06cebe24-4880-44a8-ae76-d8bbcbe108a3">Re: Charting Q (TMI)</a>:
    [QUOTE]chelsea - I've been off the CP since November 2010. Definitely not taking anything.
    Posted by mcdol3[/QUOTE]

Hmm idk then.  I'd still give it another cycle and if it happens again, talk to the doc cuz it could be a sign of other things going on.
  • edited December 2011
    I think I remember reading that a few days of post-ovulatory spotting is normal, but not a significant length of time.
    Anniversary

• catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely keep an eye on it, and see if it goes away or you get your period.

Again, I don't think spotting 3 days after O is normal.

This article says you should see O spotting right before your raise in BBT.

http://www.ovulation-calculator.com/spotting.htm

So I really don't think this is O spotting, especially if it has been going on for 3 days.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are newly off the pill, your body might still be adjusting.

Spotting three days after the O would be weird, especially if you previously had normal LP lengths.
  • edited December 2011
    I would say it is unusual. That said, keep an eye on it for now. If it does the same thing next month or if there's any other change to your cycle, I would call your doc. It could be a sign of something else going on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Girls, Havent been around in a while, but thought I would say hi!

I am currently on HBC (started for regulation) and have been on it for three years. I know HBC is different than what your body does naturally, but I generally spot for a week to 10 days in the middle of my cycle. I have been to two gynocologists (sp?) and they both told me that there is nothing to worry about whether I was on HBC or not. They both said it can happen to anyone at any point during your cycle and that it is nothing to worry about. I wasn't convinced, so they did blood work and sonos and everything was fine. I would give yourself one more month and then see if your doc has anything to say about it. GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I've been spotting like this for the past 3 cycles, which is why it's concerning.
    I went off HBC in the first place because I was spotting like this.

I'm waiting for my teaching couple to call me this afternoon. She just needs to get home from work first.

If I find anything out I'll post so you guys know.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to my creighton book that lists different symptoms. The bottom line is spotting at any time other than the period may be a precancerous condition and should be checked out.

There is nothing that lists spotting 3 days after ovulation, but at other times:

bleeding early in mucous buildup:  endometrial polyp or, in rare cases a symptom that would pre-exist developing cancer inside uterine cavity

Tail-end brown bleeding: (spotting after period): hormonal dysfunction , adenomyosis, or adenomatous hyperpasia (precancerous)

Prementrual sptting: premature breakdown of capilaries, (causes by low progesterone)-- can effect miscarriages.

I had mild spotting during ovulation. My doc figured it was low progesterone (which it was) but I still had blood work and an ultrasound just to be cautious.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks AgapeCarrie.

I didn't get a hold of my teaching couple today, so maybe tomorrow. I want to know what I'm asking for when I go to the doc.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes, i dont think this is normal either.  i spot for 3 days before my period, but usually never mid-cycle, except when i had a polyp.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards