Catholic Weddings

Ceremony music (Accidental XP)

How many opportunities are there for songs in a Catholic "non-mass" ceremony?

There are a few things I would like to squeeze in here, and I'm starting to wonder if it's possible.  The song "Con Te Partiro" by Andrea Bocelli is what I would love to walk down the aisle to.  My sister, who is the MOH, has a beautiful voice and I would like her to sing "Make You Feel My Love" by Adele at some point.  Also, my parents and my FI's parents both used "The Wedding Song" by Peter, Paul, and Mary in their ceremonies, so it would also be nice to somehow incorporate that.

I have yet to meet with the music director at my church, and I'm sure he can answer these questions and then some, but I thought maybe some of you lovely ladies would know something beforehand :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Ceremony music (Accidental XP)

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the ceremony outside of Mass, there is the prelude music (played while mothers and guests of honor are seated and while the groomsmen find their places) and the processional music.  Then there's the recessional music at the end of the ceremony.  All other music during the ceremony must be discussed with the priest as it'd be "outside" of the typical ceremony.

You'll also want to talk with both the priest and the music director of your church about music selections.  Not all parishes will allow secular music to be played.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Prelude
    Processional (1 or more for fam, wedding party, bride)
    Some people have a gathering song after the procession
    Responsorial Psalm
    Gospel Acclamation
    Recessional

Add a marian song if you do a devotion to her.
  • Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only secular song our church allowed was "The Prayer" by Bocelli.  That was during the lighting of the unity candle.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • MandK9MandK9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The deacon told me they're pretty open to secular songs, but they obviously have to approve them. I'll just hope for the best.  Blue, I LOVE The Prayer. Beautiful. 

So, I'm hoping there's a spot for my sister to sing the Adele song. I can't quite figure out where it could go, since she's IN the processional, and the responsorial song and gospel acclamation are obviously hymns. Hmm. Thanks ladies. I guess I'll stop playing the guessing game and just go talk to the music director.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a soloist sing "When Love Is Found" during an interlude following the vows.  It gave H and me a chance to whisper sweet things to each other for a little bit.  It was wonderful and beautiful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards