Catholic Weddings

A Family Bible

My FI and I are getting married next month I want to get us a nice "family" Bible that we can read together. I'm leaning towards the Douay-Rheims translation, but I'd really like to find a family Bible that FI can pass down to our children one day. Can anyone offer me a recommendation for a good qualify family Bible? (maybe in a different translation- though I've never read the Douay-Rheims version so I am very curious to try it!) 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

74 Invited image
44 image are ready to party!
31 image declines
0 imagecan't find the bleeping mailbox
RSVP Date: Sept 24

Re: A Family Bible

• The Douay rheims translation is the one that is most accurate from the Latin Vulgate, however, it's also most like the King James version with older English. Some of the citation numbers don't line up. This translation is good for scholarship/note taking/serious study. 

I know that some apologists like the new revised standard translation.

New American is what is used at mass.

You may be limited on translation if you are looking for a more "heirloom" type bible. 
  • [QUOTE]The Douay rheims translation is the one that is most accurate from the Latin Vulgate, however, it's also most like the King James version with older English.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Yes - so if you happen to appreciate "heightened text," you'll like the Douay-Rheims.  If you want to preview it, here's the website:

<a href="http://www.drbo.org/index.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.drbo.org/index.htm</a>

(Watch that search feature, though!  You could type in "Elijah" and not find a single passage, ha ha.  With the DR, Elijah = Elias, Lebanon = Libanus, Joshua = Josue, Chronicles = <font class="heading">Paralipomenon, etc.)
    </font>
  • We received a new american for our wedding.  it was nice as it had the sections to fill out family info - births, deaths, baptisms, confirmations, etc.  its very large, the kind you'd want to display somewhere.

i also have a DR version that's smaller and easy to read in bed, etc.
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2012
    I vote New Revised Standard version. (I could be wrong, but I believe that it is the most "accurate" and scholarly overall, and it's language is much more accessible, since unlike the DR which is translated from the Vulgate which itself is translated from the original Greek and Hebrew, the NRSV, it uses all resources available for the most accurate translation.)

I just came across this article, which seems to explain some of the differences:

I agree with PPs that it might be difficult to find a "heirloom" type Bible in a particular translation, but I vote get a Bible in a translation that is accesible (like the NRSV) and will make you want to read it regularly! :-)

As for the New American, after hearing the texts from that Bible at Mass for basically my whole life, when I got my NRSV Bible, it was like passages started jumping out at me, precisely because it was a different translation than I was used to! (I thought that was really neat!)
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_a-family-bible?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8865b4d9-93ce-44d9-90ec-4254d2a8d4cfPost:3ae81559-e78f-4f3d-b631-7385ed887e8b">Re: A Family Bible</a>:
    [QUOTE]We received a new american for our wedding.  it was nice as it had the sections to fill out family info - births, deaths, baptisms, confirmations, etc.  its very large, the kind you'd want to display somewhere.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

We received a similar one for our wedding. We both have NABs for personal use. I also have a RSV study Bible and a couple of thers floating around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for all the replies!! Right now the only Bible we have is a Catholic Study Bible FI had from college.

The language in the DR shouldn't be a problem. (Well, for my FI, at least.) I found a couple that seemed nice: 

I don't know! Maybe I should get both? I studied Latin in HS and I am eager to pick up more Latin (FI and i want to try and attend Latin Mass 1x  a month) :) Hmmmm....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

74 Invited image
    44 image are ready to party!
    31 image declines
    0 imagecan't find the bleeping mailbox
    RSVP Date: Sept 24
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards