Catholic Weddings
Options

Malankara Ceremony/ Latin Mass

I went on a wedding hiatus for the last month or so. While we are heading to India next week I decided to work on my Ceremony during the 2 day plane ride over. Anyway this is the question I've had. I know most people don't know the Malankara Ceremony (explaination is in my bio) it has four parts to it and normally people leave after the ceremony and do the mass (if they have one) before.

I really wanted to do the Ceremony before and do the mass after as a sacrament after we are offically married, but I'm getting a lot of resistance from family I've talked to about this. They don't see it working out fluently and think it needs to be done before or in the middle.

I've talked to my Priest (my uncle) and he initially said to do it before, but said if I wanted it after this would be fine to. I have to get the program together and then send it to him for approval. I was wondering what you guys would do/ done.

I don't know at which point in our ceremony we are actually husband and wife. I don't know if some of it is other traditional stuff welcoming me into their family. I don't know if it would be akward to just stick mass in the middle.

Re: Malankara Ceremony/ Latin Mass

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...I wish I had more knowledge of the Malankara ceremony so I could help! In the Latin Mass, the vow/ring exchange is done immediately and then the mass follows. I think there's a prayer/blessing the priest does towards the end of mass, but I'm pretty sure you're "married" once the vows/rings are exchanged in the beginning. I have no idea if that helps you!
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about all the Eastern Rites/Churches, but there is a theology in the Latin Rite that a couple marries, then the Eucharist is shared...as a spiritual consumnation, if you will.

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

ditto Riss, in the Latin you are married first, then the mass.  in fact, my priest made mention of this, as after we did the vows, before the mass, he said a few words welcoming people and explaining how the mass would be in latin, not the usual english, and he pointed out tht the one difference is that we were already  married - since with the novus ordo, you do the vows, etc. somewhere in the middle of hte mass.  you do get the nuptial blessing later on during the mass, but we were defintiely married before mass started.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies. I knew I was taking a long short, but I really want to do the mass after the actual marriage. Everyone else doesn't seem to think it's important when we do it as long as it's done.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards