Catholic Weddings
Options

catholic but not a catholic ceremony?

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.  I was raised a Catholic and my fiance is Greek Orhodox.  We are looking to have the ceremony at the Protestant Bay Head Chapel in Bay Head, NJ.  While I would not call myself a "practicing Catholic", I still plan to raise my child and baptize him/her as a Catholic.  I've done a lot of research on this but I want to make sure I can still baptize my child in a Catholic church despite where I am married.

Re: catholic but not a catholic ceremony?

• Options
    you can, but you do understand that if you marry outside of hte church you are not allowed to participate in the sacraments.  meaning, you will no longer be able to receive communion.

it may make it challenging for you to teach a child the faith that you yourself cannot fully practice.  also, as your child ages and thinks abotu marriage themselves, they will surely have many questions as to why you didnt marry in the church and opted to marry in a manner that essentially caused you to turn your back on the faith.

id really think this thru carefully before making a final decision on your ceremony.
  • Options
    I agree with Calypso.  My advice would be to really examine the role you want the church to play in your marriage and your children's lives.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but have you and your FI discussed how you are going to raise your children?

Good luck, and please come back with any questions you have!
    Anniversary

• Options
    You're not practicing your Catholic faith, but is your fiance practicing his Greek Orthodox faith?

It might be possible for you both to marry in his Orthodox church and still have it recognized by the Catholic Church.  I think you'd need a dispensation for that (others can correct me if I'm wrong about this), but at least you'd both be able to follow your faith.

Either way, make sure both of you are on the same page on what religion you will or will not practice, and what religion you will or will not raise your children. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-but-not-a-catholic-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:8dbc0c01-a7be-49d6-8406-88e54bc4036cPost:e2283706-5cc1-419c-9f1c-45c7b471d7c5">Re: catholic but not a catholic ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're not practicing your Catholic faith, but is your fiance practicing his Greek Orthodox faith? It might be possible for you both to marry in his Orthodox church and still have it recognized by the Catholic Church.  I think you'd need a dispensation for that (others can correct me if I'm wrong about this), but at least you'd both be able to follow your faith. Either way, make sure both of you are on the same page on what religion you will or will not practice, and what religion you will or will not raise your children. 
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

THIS^

It's not all that difficult at all
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-but-not-a-catholic-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8dbc0c01-a7be-49d6-8406-88e54bc4036cPost:bb7a97bd-c744-45a0-924c-952cbaaeacd3">catholic but not a catholic ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.  I was raised a Catholic and my fiance is Greek Orhodox.  We are looking to have the ceremony at the Protestant Bay Head Chapel in Bay Head, NJ.  While I would not call myself a "practicing Catholic", I still plan to raise my child and baptize him/her as a Catholic.  I've done a lot of research on this but I want to make sure I can still baptize my child in a Catholic church despite where I am married.
    Posted by Michish[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're child can still be baptized in a catholic church.  I am catholic but was married in a Unitarian Church and I have talked to a priest at my catholic church and he said that my child can be baptized there.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards