Catholic Weddings

Friday!

Sooooo I am taking Biblio's advice and taking a sick day, because I can NOT feel this crappy next week when my family gets here.  I'm pretty much going to spend the whole day in bed, but what do the rest of you have going on?

Also, do you ever feel like a sick day can never actually BE a sick day?  All I can think of is the million errands I could be running since I've got the time today.  =(
Anniversary

Re: Friday!

• Because I don't take my own advice and take a sick day unless I'm spiking a fever and/or can't breathe, my sick days are usually pretty miserable. I have, however, let things like grading slide in order to get some rest, which usually turns into doing 1 million other things and feeling guilty because I could have gotten some grading done.

The best sick day I ever took though was when I got pink eye on the field trip from you-know-where. My prinicpal didn't want me coming in with pink eye because of it's highly contagiousness, especially at a K-8 school. I got to spend the day catching up on grading in my pajamas!

English teacher = always more to grade
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hope the extra day off and resting over the weekend does the trick for you Professor!  I try to avoid taking sick days unless absolutely necessary - at my office we just have PTO that we use for either sick or vacation time, and I always try to stockpile as much of it for vacation as possible.  So the days when I'm home sick, I'm usually REALLY sick.

Today, I'm just in a cranky mood this morning.  It's a combination of things, including dealing with several aggravating clients/calls already, as well as the fact that this month I'm having the weirdest cycle ever since I started charting.  Of course it would happen AFTER I get married.  Ugh.  I'm just annoyed at my body being so screwy - I'm a newlywed!  This sucks!  OK, rant over.  Good thing I'm going out tonight, a few cocktails will do me good!
  • @Prof - hope you feel better!  Like Erin, I have PTO that is for both sick and vacation time which is nice... but also lame because I can't roll it over to the next year.  I did discover last year that I could roll over negative PTO, though... thanks to bronchitis :)  I usually also only take PTO days when I'm so sick that I'm non-functional.  Thankfully, I can remote into my work desktop from home, now, so if needed I can do some work when out.

@Erin - mine got crazier after getting married, too!  I thought marriage was supposed to be less stressful on one's body, right??
  • Professor, I hope you feel better!!  Like Biblio and Erin, I tend to avoid taking a sick day unless I'm super sick, but I still feel guilty for not getting stuff done.  I feel like I should be doing SOMETHING.  My sick days and vacation days are all in the same PTO category, so I try to save my days off for vacation or just a fun day off, you know?

Erin, I hope your cycles normalize a bit, but look on the bright side: having some wonky cycles now while you're still learning, and your Creighton instructor is there to help, is kind of a good thing.  You'll learn so much upfront that you'll be better prepared for the cycle wonkiness that always seems to follow pregnancy!

• Good points ladies!  I'm trying to keep it in perspective, and remember that even if my body's doing weird things, it's better to be aware of it and figure out what to do, rather than just masking it with BCP.  So far my charts are showing signs of low progesterone and other sub-fertility issues, which I'm not happy about, but again it's good to know so we can address those before TTC and be proactive about it.  Sometimes it's just hard to see the bright side of things :)

Luckily at my office, we can carry over up to 5 full days of PTO hours to the next year.  I've never had nearly that much left, and this year I'll actually be -6 hours.  But it's nice to know that it's possible in the future!
  • Erin, you're so right.  It was a relief to get some of the fertility issues I could tell I had out of the way before we were really actively TTC.

My district has 3 personal days and 10 sick days, but you don't have to show a note to take a sick day, so you can really take either.  They've been really terrible about explaining policies like, "Do your sick days stay with you in state?" (In Texas they do), but it seems pretty nice.  I hate taking days off -- I've yet to see a competent substitute in our building.  Yesterday the art teacher right next to me was off and three boys took some form of media and smeared it all over the floor inside and outside her classroom.  And the poor sub apparently couldn't figure out what their names were and it was just terrible.
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_friday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:90de60fe-87a7-4d64-9093-9b99eadd0b48Post:fc7911ad-4497-45a7-b77f-0745311ef78c">Re: Friday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Erin, you're so right.  It was a relief to get some of the fertility issues I could tell I had out of the way before we were really actively TTC. My district has 3 personal days and 10 sick days, but you don't have to show a note to take a sick day, so you can really take either.  They've been really terrible about explaining policies like, "Do your sick days stay with you in state?" (In Texas they do), but it seems pretty nice.  I hate taking days off -- I've yet to see a competent substitute in our building.  Yesterday the art teacher right next to me was off and three boys took some form of media and smeared it all over the floor inside and outside her classroom.  And the poor sub apparently couldn't figure out what their names were and it was just terrible.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

Ugggh subs. I think art must be unusually awful to sub for. I had an incident where one of my 8th grade students was missing under the guidance of an art sub only to be found in the room with a kiln (thankfully not firing). Yeah. I was pleased to lose my prep dealing with that situation, especially given the number of preps I had already spent trying to get in touch with his parents.

Last year, my seniors would give me very detailed descriptions of what went down with the couple of subs they had. It just makes me shake my head, but their descriptions were also pretty funny.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yikes, that sounds awful!  I hardly remember having substitute teachers growing up, and several of the ones I do remember ended up being one of the students' moms, or someone at least one student knew, so it was a lot harder to try and screw around with the sub than if it had been a stranger.
  • As I've always worked on Wall Street, I have no concept of "paid time off".

You're sick = get out of here!

You're healthy = get in here or else!

You're sick, go to bed and call me in the morning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards