Catholic Weddings
Options

US Conference of Bishops Bible Translation

I just saw this article about updated translations to the bible:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42215497/ns/us_news-life/

Much of the article is about updates to a transalation largely used in protestant churches, but there is also a good deal of discussion about the US Conference of Bishops revising the New American Bible.  May of the changes are for more gender-neutral wording. 

One really interesting change is in Isiah to say that Jesus will be born to a "young woman" instead of a "virgin," since the US Conference of Bishops concluded this was closer to the original Hebrew.

Anyway, the article also says that it would take years to actually incorporate this next text into the mass, because only the Vatican can grant approval.  But that it will be on the US Conference of Bishops' website.

I am ignorant of any details not in this article, and know that the article itself could possibly be misleading (although it seems decently well-written to me).  Anyway, I thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

Does anyone have thoughts, or know more about this?

Re: US Conference of Bishops Bible Translation

• Options
    edited December 2011
    For the little bit I know about this, the article was more or less accurate. My understanding is that the new version (and I'm interested in getting a copy, but have not yet) has both a more accurate and poetic translation than the previous New American Bible.

I think the virgin -- /> young woman thing is more interesting to the anti-Catholic media than to Catholics, since Mary's virginity is so deeply ingrained in Catholic doctrine, than a translation change (which I've often heard to be the most accurate translation anyway) is not going to make one bit of difference to Catholic teaching or beliefs.

What I think is the most interesting change, on a more trivial than theological level, is the change (not mentioned in this article) from "holocaust" to "burnt offerings," because the Holocaust (the WWII event) has so thoroughly taken over the meaning of the word.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bibliophile: thanks for the response!  I agree that the virgin/young woman thing is not a big deal, given the totality of Catholic teachings.

I also think that I generally support changes that bring the (current) meaning of the text closer to the Hebrew.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree -- accurate translations are very important, for a lot of reasons. I'm excited for the new translation of the mass as well.

Languages are a "hobby" of mine, so things like this really interest me. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards