Catholic Weddings
Options

NWR-NFP and home fertility tests

This is a totally random question that popped into my head from watching a commercial, but I was wondering if any of you who do NFP have ever used a home fertility test - like a pregnancy test, but to tell you when you're ovulating - to "double check" yourself?  I know if I was starting that method, I would be insecure about my own accuracy at first, and this seems like a great way to see if you're right!  Kind of the opposite of what the fertility test is intended for, but seems like it would work.  I'm just curious to see if anyone's done this!
imageimage

Re: NWR-NFP and home fertility tests

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i havent.  Taking Charge of your Fertility (TCOYF) says these arent that effective since i think they usually tell you when your temp spikes - technically, you ovulate BEFORE your temp spikes.

in theory, FAM (fertility awareness method) already has in place a double check and a triple check.  you check temps, you check fluid, and you can also check cervical position.

however, i highly recommend abstaining for a good 3 cycles until you get the feel for how charting works.  in fact, TCOYF recommends not using FAM as your sole method until you feel like you have accurate, interpretable charts.  3 cycles should give you a good feel for your patterns, it may take more (if you are cominmg off the Pill, for example, things may be erratic for awhile).  after 10 cycles, i can now predict the day my temp spikes (usually day 12, sometimes 13) and can almost pinpoint the exact day my period will come.
  • Options
    caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a method of NFP that uses a fertility monitor, I believe in combination with either temps or mucus (could be wrong on this, I'm not super familiar with it.) It's the Marquette method.

http://nfp.marquette.edu/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't trust an OPK. They are designed to tell you when you can get pregnant, but they are designed for people who WANT to get pregnant. If you're TTC the kits says your fertile and you have sex, but don't get pregnant - not a big deal. If you're TTA and the kit says you're fertile so you don't have sex, but you do get pregnant - huge deal. 

Bottom line = an OPK designed to perform one function - I wouldn't rely on them to do anything else. 

Also, as PPs said, most NFP methods have double and triple-checks already in place. I would abstain for phases 1 and 2 while you're learning (go to town in phase 3, as long as you're sure ovulation is behind you). You'll get comfortable with it pretty fast when you see your own pattern emerge. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't gotten any solid information on NFP yet but I am very very curious......

Calypso, how do you check your cervical position? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Theresa:  Are you going to take a class in NFP?  I think that's really the best way to learn.  I took a class with the Couple to Couple League and it was so valuable.
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not Calypso (clearly) but to check my cervical position, I squat on the bathroom floor and try to touch it with my finger. Most of the time I can't feel it at all, but when I can, I know that ovulation is around the corner. Also, when I can't feel it anymore, I know I'm safely in Phase III. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-nfp-home-fertility-tests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:95c8ecc2-c9af-4e40-82e8-788c47e92484Post:6874a123-c912-492b-b6c2-d776e889acbe">Re: NWR-NFP and home fertility tests</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not Calypso (clearly) but to check my cervical position, I squat on the bathroom floor and try to touch it with my finger. Most of the time I can't feel it at all, but when I can, I know that ovulation is around the corner. Also, when I can't feel it anymore, I know I'm safely in Phase III. 
    Posted by meltoine[/QUOTE]

Interesting...  I´m reading TCOYF and it says that when you´re NOT fertile is when it should be harder (like the tip of your nose) and sit lower, and therefore be easier to feel.  When you´re fertile is when it´s supposed to soften and be higher up. 

The acronym for the cervix around ovulation is:  SHOW

Soft
    High
    Open
    Wet

Everyone´s body is different, of course ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Regarding the ovulation tests, as others have pointed out they are really only helpful for women trying to get pregnant...  The reason is because before ovulation, the cervix starts to produce mucus/fluid that will sustain sperm until the egg is available.  Sperm can live up to 5 days in a "friendly" cervical environment, waiting around for the egg to show up. 

So you could have sex days before ovulation and the sperm may still there when the egg shows up.  The ovulation test will only tell you when the egg has arrived, not when "sperm friendly" conditions started, so it will truly be too late to warn you that it´s not safe for sex.

Pick up a copy of "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" to learn the ins and outs.  It´s a great resource :)

EDIT:  I guess the test could be a way of checking your tracking accuracy as long as you´re not depending on it to tell you when it´s safe to have sex. 
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Marquettte method uses a fertility monitor along with Creighton type charting.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i check mine same way - after teh shower, i squat down and poke.  its definitely the more difficult sign (at least for me, anyway) to interpret. honestly, mine always feels sorta the same.  i mostly rely on temps and fluids. 
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, do you have to check your cervical position every day?  Because honestly, that sounds incredibly difficult, and to be honest, rather painful to do. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-nfp-home-fertility-tests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:95c8ecc2-c9af-4e40-82e8-788c47e92484Post:6497064f-cda6-4841-947d-99daba1b7e7f">Re: NWR-NFP and home fertility tests</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, do you have to check your cervical position every day?  Because honestly, that sounds incredibly difficult, and to be honest, rather painful to do. 
    Posted by Theresa626[/QUOTE]

No, you don´t have to check it everyday or even at all.  It´s an optional sign that you can use to support the results of your fluid and temperature.  But it doesn´t hurt.  And it´s really easy to do it the shower. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-nfp-home-fertility-tests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:95c8ecc2-c9af-4e40-82e8-788c47e92484Post:6497064f-cda6-4841-947d-99daba1b7e7f">Re: NWR-NFP and home fertility tests</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, do you have to check your cervical position every day?  Because honestly, that sounds incredibly difficult, and to be honest, rather painful to do. 
    Posted by Theresa626[/QUOTE]

No, you don't have to.  I don't ever check cervical position.  It is not pleasant for me to check, and even when I do, I don't notice any differences.  So I only use temp and CM. 

When I took my NFP class (almost 5 years ago now) in the CCLI/STM method, my teaching couple called cervical position an optional crosscheck, and said that many women using the CCLI method don't use the cervical sign because it's either too difficult or not informative.  There is at least one NFP method (Billings) that uses only CM, which shows that cervical position is not required for NFP to be effective.  You may find the cervical position a useful sign, or not. 
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Creighton and mraquette method do not do cervix check.
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    I check my cervical fluid internally. So checking my cervix position doesn't really take any more time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    as others said, its optional.  and its really no different from inserting a tampon in terms of what it feels like.
  • Options
    lauraNkieranlauraNkieran member
    edited December 2011
    I've just started temping and checking fluids as a way to get to know my body - we'll be TTC once we get married in 25 days :woohoo:  I've never check my cervix position and have no desire to.  Those OPKs are really more for those who are TTC vs not.  Even if you are TTC everything you read (whether its on fertility friend . com or the Taking Charge of Your Fertility book) will tell you you can use them just to "see" but really should clue in to what your body is doing first & foremost.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards