Catholic Weddings
Options

Billings Ovulation Method

Hi Ladies!  I know that a lot of you are using the Creighton Method of NFP.  We had recently attended an intro class for the Billings Method and found it to be agreeable, so we signed up for the actual class on Oct 23. We are getting married in December and I wanted to start charting before we became active so that I know where we're at when that time comes.  Does anyone out there use this method, and if so how do you like it?  If not, did you consider this method and then decide against it for one reason or another?  Do tell!  Thanks in advance for the input!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Billings Ovulation Method

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know nothing about the method or anything but if you read my post that's just after this one about my Engaged Enrichment day I talk about a couple that had used a method that did not work for them.  I don't know the specifics on Billings but I do have a good memory and that was the one that the women said did not work with her body.  She did say that her sister used the method though and it did work for her.

I'm not an expert or speaking from experience obviously but I guess it didn't work for her so I thought I'd let you know!  I don't remember the name of the one that worked for her but it was the one that used the machine that reads your hormones every morning (it sounded like a pregnancy test...you pee on a stick and insert into this machine that tells you your levels).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, good to know. I was going to ask if they had mentioned the method they used in the beginning or not.  Thanks for the input!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_billings-ovulation-method?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:96abb0a1-a228-41d9-91db-01e003f66049Post:007ee22d-345d-4afb-9261-36679d2699ad">Re: Billings Ovulation Method</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I don't remember the name of the one that worked for her but it was the one that used the machine that reads your hormones every morning (it sounded like a pregnancy test...you pee on a stick and insert into this machine that tells you your levels).
    Posted by eshaufle[/QUOTE]

That's probably the Marquette model.

For me, the CCLI symptothermal method worked pretty well until recently.  My husband and I liked having the cross-check of temperatures along with CM.  Now we are thinking of switching to Creighton because we haven't yet had luck TTC, and the NFP-only doctors in this country who deal with IF tend to be trained only in Creighton.  That's sort of unfortunate because it means a delay of several more months before we can get a consult with one of these doctors, since I'll need a few charts to go.  (When we lived on the East Coast, I had found a practice of 6 doctors who were trained mostly in symptothermal method, one in Billings, and one in Creighton... but around here that's not the case and we'd have to travel for a consult, which probably means traveling to a FertilityCare center that uses Creighton Model.)

Whichever method of NFP you choose to use, though, it is truly a blessing to learn about your body and to avoid conception or TTC naturally, without pumping your body full of artificial hormones.  Even though we haven't yet had success TTC, charting has allowed me to see what my body is doing, and a few months back, it allowed me to know that I needed to seek medical attention (metformin).  Knowledge truly is power.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gulf is right.  The method that worked for the presenting couple was the Marquette method (thanks for the memory jog Gulf!!).  She didn't go into gritty details about why the other didn't work for her; she only said that her body didn't respond to that method and they couldn't get a very good read or the readings were inaccurate for her.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards