Catholic Weddings
Options

Friday Wedding

Hey Ladies!
I'm completely at a loss as far as how my wedding will work out so far. The date my fiance and I have picked seems to not be open for a reception site but is set up with the church, on a Saturday in June of 2012. Living in a smaller town, we are limited to the places we can hold our reception. Many of the weddings I have been to are not Catholic ones, has anyone heard of or been to a Catholic wedding on a Friday?
Any suggestions are very welcome! Things have turned from stressful to completely overwhelming and frustrating!
Thanks!

Re: Friday Wedding

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I attended a cousin's wedding on a Friday night several years ago.  It was in Western Massachustts, Long Meadow to be precise.  Guest list was about 200 or so.

It was nice, decent band, I don't really remember the food but I would remember if it had been bad.  We were seated at the same table as my dad and siblings, this was his brother's son getting married.

I guess the only concern I would have would be for guests who are unable to just take a day off when they want.  My employer was easy in most cases, as was my BF's at the time.

If you do decide on a Friday, make sure that it's later in the evening so your guests will be able to settle in and change clothes if needed.  I don't know the details of your town but Friday night traffic can be brutal.  I would suggest not before 7 PM.

Please don't get overwhelmed with this.  It's not that big a deal, really.  Your family and good friends will do whatever they can to be there.  If a few can't, so be it.

Provide good food, good music and good drinks and you'll be just fine.

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married next Friday night. We decided on a Friday night wedding, but we are having the reception the following day. Our families aren't Catholic and we live in a very anti-Catholic area of the country so we decided to have the religious ceremony the night before. We are only having twenty people at the religious ceremony with one hundred fifty people invited to the reception the next day. 

I would ditto what PP said about having it later in the evening. Our ceremony is at seven in the evening. Our attitude is that the people who really want to be apart of our wedding will be there. I am very excited about it. It was what worked for us. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you to both of you! We were able to figure the date issue and as well as reception issue
  • Options
    afb124afb124 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand what the issue is.  I've been to many Friday weddings & we are having ours on a Friday (10 days from now!) and yes, it's in a Catholic Church. The nice thing about Friday weddings in church is that you don't have to rush out the door b/c people will start to arrive for Saturday evening mass.  Our ceremony is at 4:00 & cocktail hour starts at 6:00. Around here, many companies do "summer hours" from Memorial Day - Labor Day so a great number of our families & friends either will have the day off or only need to work 1/2 day that Friday.  Some are just taking the whole day off.  Not everyone attends the church, so for those that need to work the whole day, they can simply join up at the cocktail hour & then head into the dinner reception.  There is nothing to stress over - if people want to attend your wedding, they will.  Sending a Save-the-Date never hurts either!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards