Catholic Weddings

Nervous about meeting with the priest...

So FI and I are meeting with the priest at his family's church tomorrow and I'm nervous.  Can anyone tell me what I should expect?

Our background...

He's is Catholic.  I'm not (I attend a non-denominational Christian church regularly and I believe that I was baptized in a different non-denom church as a child though I have no proof, my mother is deceased).  He's never been married.  I have, previous marriage was performed outdoors and was a NON-religious ceremony and was dissolved.

FI told the priest in emails about my past and that I am interested in converting to Catholic, though may not be 100% sure of it until after we marry and he and his family are okay with that. 

I know that I will need to do an annulement through the Catholic church in order fo us to be able to be married there and that we will need to do the pre-cana which I am actually looking forward to but is there anything else I should know?

I am usually the type who is overly prepared for things and I just feel like I'm lost on all this stuff! 

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Nervous about meeting with the priest...

• edited December 2011
    Just go in there with an open heart and mind. He is there to help you have a wonderful marriage, not harrass you about anything. He is not going to ask you details about intimacy or anything like that, he may just touch base on it esp if you are living together before marriage.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you, we do live together (my son and I just moved into his house last month) so we know that that might come up and could be an issue. 

On the the scariest things about meeting him is that he is a new priest at this parish.  His first service was only 2 weeks ago and we haven't met him at all (neither has FI's family) so no one is able to say "don't worry he's really nice, etc."  and none of our family or friends that were married there were married by him.  Luckily the Deacon was a neighbor of FI's and is a friend of the family and the one who does the pre-cana classes so at least we have that to look forward to (assuming we are allowed to marry there).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Met with the priest and he was very nice and laid back.  He didn't even blink an eye at us having the same address.  Upon discussing my past we have discovered that my ex was baptized Catholic and was not married in the church nor did he recieve permission to be married outside of the church and therefore once he can confirm this I will be free to marry FI in the Catholic church and we can set a date! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards